Quicken can't find my personal loan account with American Express (AmEx)

Hello there,

I have a credit card and a personal loan with AmEx. Both are accessible through the same website and credentials. I was able to add the CC to Quicken successfully. But whenever I try to add my loan account, I get a "No loan accounts were found at American Express using username **REDACTED**" error. Any idea of what might be happening?

The exact steps I'm following are:

1. Click the + sign under Accounts at the upper left.
2. Click the AmEx logo.
3. Choose "Loan accounts", then Next.
4. Enter my credentials, then Connect.
5. Complete 2FA steps.
6. Following error is shown: "No loan accounts were found at American Express using username **REDACTED**. If Quicken should have found a loan account at this Financial Institution, please check the user name and password you used to connect and try again. This should be the same username and password you use to login to the American Express website".

Quicken version: R46.12 (latest)
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    American Express Personal Loans are personal loans issued by American Express National Bank, not the credit card company.  So type in "American Express Bank" and select the entity that matches that entry.  I'd expect that would work.
  • Rathaul
    Rathaul Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with my American Express personal loan.
    It was working fine until I had to reauthorize due to the new connection method. I used one login to see my Amex credit cards and personal loan together. Now, with the reauthorize that had to be done, I can only see an option for the credit cards and not the personal loan. It did seem to still update without changing the connection method, but every time I would update accounts, I would get an annoying window at the personal loan (should have option to not display again) that I could either reauthorize or cancel it. Getting tired of seeing that window, so I tried deactivating the connection (wrong thing to do) and reconnect, now I have no way of getting a connection back to my personal loan.
  • Rathaul
    Rathaul Member ✭✭
    Just a note, I did look for the "American Express National Bank" and there's not an option for that in the financial institution list. I did try the "zz-American Express - Banking" and got an error stating it's not my fault the connection failed. I also tried "American Express Bank FSB" and username/password doesn't work there.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I'd suggest calling AMEX and asking if support for downloads of loans is available.  The lack of that support might be the problem here as being able to see loan information online doesn't automatically mean that it's downloadable.
  • ghostman
    ghostman Member ✭✭
    I too, have not been able to download Amex loan transactions since they made you reauthorize. To make matters worse, if you try to hit setup online access on the loan account, it grays the quicken screen and the only way back is to kill the process. If I deactivate other amex accounts and add them back, the loan account still does not show up. I am not sure how to let Amex know this as any time I have called them to report problems with Quicken, they say it is Quicken's problem...and if you ask Quicken, it is Amex's problem :)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please to not try to use Financial Institution Names in Quicken using a z, zz or zzz - prefix. They are obsolete and soon to be deleted altogether.

I don't have any of these Personal Loan or new Savings or other-than-credit-card accounts myself. The 800-number at AmEx that specifically supports these account types should be able to tell you how to go about downloading with Quicken. One thing you could try is to see if, on the account's website, you can download a QFX file with transactions and then import this file into Quicken. This might make it possible to activate the account for subsequent downloading with OSU. … hopefully …

This discussion has been closed.