Register Copy/Paste transaction with attachments

Stripedbass411
Stripedbass411 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken Premier for Windows Version R47.15 Build 27.1.47.15

A copy/paste transaction action in the same register is failing to paste the attachments to the newly created transaction entry.

Problem:
If a register “Copy transaction(s)” is performed on a transaction that contains attachments and a subsequent “Paste transaction(s)” is used to create a new transaction in the same register then the new transaction will have the attachments available to it for viewing via the “paper clip” only up until the new transaction is saved. Once the new transaction is saved the attachments are automatically removed from the new transaction entry.

Quicken should either be making copies of all attachments for the "Paste transaction(s)" action when the new transaction is actually saved or less ideally automatically removing the attachments from the new transaction prior to the save.

Work Around:
A work around is to manually export all attachments from the new transaction prior to saving. Once all the attachments have been exported save the transaction and then manually add each attachment back to the new transaction.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious why you would want the same attachments? Wouldn't the dates on the bill/receipt/statement be different for the copied transaction than on the original? From that standpoint, it seems to me that Quicken is acting correctly, though I don't know why they would even include them in the copy in the first place making it look like they would be carried through.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Stripedbass411
    Stripedbass411 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    The use and need for a copy / paste on a transaction with attachments comes mostly when purchases are made online. At the time of purchase the original transaction goes into Quicken along with the relevant information and attachment(s) pertaining to the purchase. The merchant may later decide to hold off on actually charging the credit card the full amount and instead do multiple charges depending on product availability and when an item(s) from the order actually ship. In these instances the original Quicken transaction amount is just modified to be the partial amount for what the merchant just charged, another transaction is created with a transaction copy / paste, and the newly created transaction amount is just the remaining amount on the items. Merchants actually do this more times then you may think.

When merchants split the order it usually does not result in a new order, or invoice, so the same attachments should be copied to the subsequent transaction(s) in Quicken.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your point but it seems like you would want to know what portion of the original order the transaction is for and that the attachment would reflect that subset of the original list and thus be different.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had an order split into different shipments. The other thing is that I don't put attachments in my Quicken data file because of the file size bloat and that the only way to get them out of Quicken is individually.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.