Can quicken use accounts from multiple banks?

Mike_L
Mike_L Member ✭✭
I want to use multiple banks to maintain my accounts. Can I use my single Quicken account to interface with the 2 or 3 banks and have the data displayed in the same instance?
I know that I can use multiple accounts from the same bank as I do that now and it works great.
The question is can I use multiple accounts from multiple banks?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

“If I open the new accounts at bank 2 will I be able to bring the account data from bank 2 into my quicken file? ”

YES.

“Could I display all the transactions from bank 1 and bank 2 together?”

Define “display.” Are you referring to Reports? You certainly can run all kinds of Spending and other reports that use all 6 Accounts as “sources.” If you want to see each and every transaction from all 6 Accounts in one place you could do that.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

They will ALL appear in your Quicken Account List - along the left/right side of the Home screen….
    As long as the bank is “supported” by Quicken - as in the Quicken - Add Account - then you can use them….

Just to be sure - what are all the banks, credit unions, or brokerages you want to add to Quicken ?
    Also - what version of Quicken…. Starter, Deluxe, Premier ?

My single Quicken file supports all my accounts at - Chase, PNC, Ally, Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, TRowe

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Q connected to 5 banks

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young

NO. Your Quicken set of Accounts should mimic your real-world set of accounts. You MIGHT be able to do this by constantly de-activating downloading from one Fiancial Institution (FI), going through the setup process to connect to the next FI, and then doing that again and again, but that's a lot of work and almost certainly would allow errors to creep in. If you want to see all transactions in all Accounts in one place, you could run Register reports and export them to Exel or, at a higher level, run Banking Transaction reports that pull information only from those selected Accounts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have 1 account at each of 5 banks … you need 5 accounts in Q, which should always reflect the real world.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mike_L
    Mike_L Member ✭✭
    I appreciate your reply. I think I may have messed up and not been clear between my use of the word account and my intent to use the quicken file.
    I may have misstated the question.
    I have a quicken file with 4 accounts at bank 1.
    I want to open 3 new accounts at bank 2.
    I currently can use one step update to update my quicken file for bank 1 and then display transaction from all accounts.
    If I open the new accounts at bank 2 will I be able to bring the account data from bank 2 into my quicken file? Could I display all the transactions from bank 1 and bank 2 together?
    If I can't, I guess my solution would be to have separate quicken files for each bank.
    Thanks for the help and the patience.
    Mike
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓

“If I open the new accounts at bank 2 will I be able to bring the account data from bank 2 into my quicken file? ”

YES.

“Could I display all the transactions from bank 1 and bank 2 together?”

Define “display.” Are you referring to Reports? You certainly can run all kinds of Spending and other reports that use all 6 Accounts as “sources.” If you want to see each and every transaction from all 6 Accounts in one place you could do that.

• Mike_L
    Mike_L Member ✭✭
    thanks very much.
    Your response was clear and completely answered my question.
    Really appreciate the help and the patience.
    I was referring to the capability to see all transaction from all accounts. Your response is what I was hoping for
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

They will ALL appear in your Quicken Account List - along the left/right side of the Home screen….
    As long as the bank is “supported” by Quicken - as in the Quicken - Add Account - then you can use them….

Just to be sure - what are all the banks, credit unions, or brokerages you want to add to Quicken ?
    Also - what version of Quicken…. Starter, Deluxe, Premier ?

My single Quicken file supports all my accounts at - Chase, PNC, Ally, Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, TRowe

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Mike_L
    Mike_L Member ✭✭
    Thanks. that is what I was hoping for.
    I have windows 11 with Deluxe subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

what banks ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see transactions from all accounts whether the accounts are with one bank or many banks using the All Transactions register, accessible via the link at the top of the Account Bar.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mike_L
    Mike_L Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help. My current bank supports Quicken. I will make sure the second bank I will choose also supports it.
This discussion has been closed.