"Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run" when trying to do one-step-update

I have had the same issue as @rkraus7 (I cannot download any transactions because of this error message that appears when I click on either one-step-update or update settings. With both, the program crashes and disappears when this happens. I have validated file and cleared my cache and cookies.) for the last few months with no resolution. Quicken quitting and showing 'Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run.' when running one-step update or updating individual accounts. Also when I select 'edit-preferences-Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts.' I have submitted the error report many times but not received a response. I have tried with different Quicken installation on another laptop and same errors occur. Quicken is becoming useless if this error persists.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

“Backup not created” typically indicates structural damage within your active Quicken data file. This needs to be repaired by doing a File Copy (see below), followed by a Validate and Supervalidate of the copied file.
    After all of that switch to using the copied and validate file and reactivate all your account activations so you can download transactions again.

- Make a copy of your data file:
    Click File / Copy or Backup File. Select Create a Copy or Template. Click Next. Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file. (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes". (On some systems, if SHIFT+CTRL doesn't get you the prompt, try just pressing and holding SHIFT)
    Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:
    • Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Mondo Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Run both a Validate and Supervalidate of your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Super Validate:
    1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• Joachimva
    Joachimva Member ✭✭
    Many thanks for support. Unfortunately the issue persists after going through all the suggested steps (except for going back to an earlier backup version of the file).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in

• Joachimva
    Joachimva Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the sugestion. Controlled folder access was off. I turned it on, and added qw as an allowed app. The problem continues and Quicken crashes upon one-step update. So, I turned controlled folder access off again. Now I have an additional problem. When I try to backup the quicken file, I get the message "Backup NOT created."
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

“Backup not created” typically indicates structural damage within your active Quicken data file. This needs to be repaired by doing a File Copy (see below), followed by a Validate and Supervalidate of the copied file.
    After all of that switch to using the copied and validate file and reactivate all your account activations so you can download transactions again.

- Make a copy of your data file:
    Click File / Copy or Backup File. Select Create a Copy or Template. Click Next. Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file. (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes". (On some systems, if SHIFT+CTRL doesn't get you the prompt, try just pressing and holding SHIFT)
    Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

• Joachimva
    Joachimva Member ✭✭
    Many thanks @UKR. This resolved the issue. With the new file, I can now make backups again and connect to financial institutions without crash. Many thanks for your support.
This discussion has been closed.