background update restores old file (and update that one)

pbmsmit
pbmsmit Member ✭✭
I changed the active quicken file name to (let's say) file2023. Old file name was file2019. I checked and file2023 is my current file. Everything works fine with one-step updates. UNTIL next day after the automatic (background) update: then when I open I get the old file2019 file with the daily updates that were downloaded but are now out of synch. Need to restore backup for file2023, and redo one-step update to be up-to-date.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you attempt any restores …
    with Quicken running, apparently on the old file, click on the File Menu. Look at the bottom of the Menu. There should be a list of up to 4 file names, numbered 1 thru 4.
    File 1 is the currently active file. Files 2…4 are previously used files.
    Does the entry for File 2 show the name of your file2023? If so, click it to open the file so that it becomes your currently active file.
    If the file2023 does not show in the list of files … when you start Quicken, what Quicken icon do you use? The Quicken icon from the Start menu (or Desktop) or a Shortcut icon pointing to your file2019?
    If the Quicken icon points to the old file, it needs to be changed to NOT point to a specific file. Let the File Menu's entry for File 1 determine which file to open.

• pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    file2023 is marked as #1. I start Quicken with shortcut, it only points to the quicken.exe file, not any QDF file. One way or another Quicken (running in background) seems to remember the file2019. Is there an INI (old fashioned) or register setting to remember those 4 files? Or is it stored in a cookie (I doubt)? I fixed it already today, and may have to wait for re-occurance tomorrow.
  • pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    This may give a clue where to look: I try to recreate it by setting the schedule to a time after now, and then I'll reboot and see if it goes wrong again. When changing the schedule, I get a warning: "Schedule updates have already been setup in another data file, they will no longer be active in other data file. Continue Yes/No" So it seems there is 'another data file' (file2019???) that has the schedule. I updated the schedule, will reboot and see what happens when onestep update starts.
  • pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    I rebooted and BAGENT ran but it didn't recreate the issue, file2023 is still the active file. Possibly because BAGENT has now the correct filename (from where?). So how does BAGENT know what file to open? I viewed a file bagent.exe.config but that was an old 2022 file and it has no reference to a QDF file. I will monitor the coming days but I think the reschedule fixed/updated the correct file to open. So there is a bypass but it seems to me there is still an error to be fixed by Quicken.
  • pbmsmit
    pbmsmit Member ✭✭
    Looks issue is solved (no issues after 3 days while it was occuring daily) by the reschedule of one-step-updates that fixed the reference to the correct filename. Not sure I will report it anyway, because it is not happening again (but may happen again when I change file name). May be a waste of effort without results. At least I documented it for other people who have same issue and can use the bypass.
This discussion has been closed.