USAA Accounts Will Not Balance

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: New Account Partnership with USAA.

Best Answer

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi All, I have reported this issue and a ticket has been created. Please stay tuned and we will update you when we have anymore information regarding a resolution. Thank you for your continued patience. (CTP-6246)

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Ever since the new arrangement between Quicken and USAA, my USAA checking account does not balance even when I've made no transactions. I've had "balance adjustments" every day since 3/2 all debits except one. My other accounts with Chase & NFCU have worked seamlessly. Why not USAA? What's the fix other than transferring all my accounts to Chase?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Jon Chase ,

We are sorry about this problem with online banking services. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

When did this issue begin? Were you able to authorize your accounts with USAA successfully before this seemed to start? Also, have you noticed any changes in your Opening Balance when this occurs?

I look forward to your response, and hope to provide further assistance, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    The issue began on 3/2/2023. I was able to authorize the accounts with USAA (twice in fact) before the balancing issue began. I've not noticed any changes in the opening balance. Today, the account reconciliation says I'm off by $89.06.
  • Quicken Jared

Hello @Jon Chase ,

We are sorry about this problem with reconciling and balances that seems to be ongoing, and thank you for answering earlier questions about the situation.

Are you reconciling accounts to the online balance? Also, is there any way you could provide screenshots of what you're seeing - with personal information redacted as necessary? You can follow the steps explained in this FAQ in order to do this. Also note that you may drag and drop your images into your comment in order to submit images, as well.

I am eager to hear back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    After 3 consecutive days of reconciling to the online balance, I stopped - it made matters worse. I now reconcile using a printed copy of the transaction register. In all my years of using Quicken to manage my finances with USAA, that has never happened. 99% of the time, my Quicken account balance matches my USAA Checking account balance. My Chase Bank & Navy Federal accounts balance to the penny. It's only USAA Checking that does not. I will move my checking & savings accounts to Chase if this continues much longer.
    Here's a screenshot of the USAA checking reconciliation page from this morning's update. It hasn't changed since Sunday after I deleted all recent balance adjustments.
    Thank you, Jon
  • Quicken Jared

Hello @Jon Chase ,

We are sorry that this is continuing to cause so much frustration. Thank you for the helpful screenshot, and the updates about what is happening.

Are you noticing that any transactions are listed as ‘pending’ on the banking institution's transaction history, and if so, do these amounts seem to correspond with the discrepancies in any way?

Let us know, if you get the chance.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    On 3/2 the difference between the Cleared Balance & the Statement Ending Balance was a debit of $134.89, on 3/3 was a credit of $401.45, on 3/4 a debit of $279.24, and on 3/6 a debit of $76.38. Today, it is a debit of $89.06. I haven't seen a correlation between the pending on the bank's statement & the Quicken download. When I have a discrepancy, that's the first thing I look for & it's usually a typo on my part. But in this case, all my transactions match the Quicken download except they do not balance.
  • Quicken Jared

Hello @Jon Chase ,

Thanks for getting back to me with more details about what is happening, and for answering my question about the pending balances.

Given the nature of this issue, I recommend speaking with Quicken Support by making use of the information provided here.  They will need to work with you in order to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue in greater detail with the tools and resources available to them, uniquely. I do wish that we could provide more advice from the Quicken Community, but Support's help will be necessary in this situation.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, after a couple of hours with Quicken Support, we were disconnected and I was unable to reconnect with the same person. For the short term, I'll reconcile my USAA checking by using bank statement balances only instead of online balances until Quicken comes up with a solution. If that doesn't happen, I'll move my checking accounts to a different bank.
  • Hokiegirl96
    Hokiegirl96 Member

I am having the same problem. I feel like Quicken is deleting reconciled transactions. I reconciled before the update and now cannot balance my USAA accounts.

• Same issue, and it is driving me crazy. Can we have a fix please

• Andy55
    Andy55 Member

I have the same problem, with no way to reconcile my checking account, each download creates a new problem. I went back to the beginning of the week and restored a backup of my quicken file. I'll reauthrize my USAA accounts after this gets fixed.

• hicksp0026`
    hicksp0026` Member ✭✭
    Same issue here with no resolution. Nothing like paying for a product with inherent flaws connecting with USAA for multiple years. With no other truly viable alternative, there is no choice but to find workarounds and slog through the issues.
  • jdale
    jdale Member ✭✭

Same issue here. My quicken renewal is coming up soon, and if this continues without a resolution I will not be renewing. The old system was working FINE, so great job “fixing” it Quicen!~

• Tim G.
    Tim G. Member

I am having the exact same balancing issues ever since the new USAA/Quicken conection update. Quicken needs to fix this NOW!

• jcpistone
    jcpistone Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I had the same issue with my accounts. What I found is that if I went to the very beginning of my transactions for that particular account, I saw a beginning balance that was the same as the amount I was off. I deleted this beginning balance transaction and my Quicken account balance and bank online balance matched.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Bingham
    Bingham Member

I'm also having issues after the update of USAA (required USAA reauthorization). My balance when reconciling does not match with the paper copy. It worked before the update. Please fix ASAP.

• artleach
    artleach Member ✭✭
    Quicken is now using what USAA calls the account's "Available Balance". This includes not only the cleared balance, but also any USAA-known pending bills and deposits. Because these "known" bills and deposits are continuously changing, Quicken will no longer be able to balance the account - that is, unless Quicken stops using the "Available Balance" and starts using the cleared balance from USAA as it has always done in the past. I can no longer count on Quicken to give me a clear picture of my actual status until it corrects this fundamental error.
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi All, I have reported this issue and a ticket has been created. Please stay tuned and we will update you when we have anymore information regarding a resolution. Thank you for your continued patience. (CTP-6246)

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• wardawalker
    wardawalker Member ✭✭
    A couple days ago, Quicken (PC) said I had to upgrade my connection method for USAA from Direct Connect. It put my on Express Web Connect Plus. Now Quicken reconciles to the "Current Balance" instead of the "Online Balance" (just cleared items). On a couple of my accounts in Quicken it also inserted false first entries (reconciled!), which completely throws off the balances. This is a complete debacle and has cost me a ton of time. After working with USAA on trying to get back to Direct Connect, I've decided to just restart from an older Quicken backup and work from there. I see no way to fix the EWC+ bugs.
  • hicksp0026`
    hicksp0026` Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    After closely watching this over the past couple of days, I believe I understand what is happening with Quicken and USAA. Quicken transaction downloads from USAA are resulting in transactions being downloaded twice. USAA puts transactions in a pending status online. The transactions are downloaded when they first show up as pending. After some time (usually the next business day), pending transactions are listed in the USAA account as actual cleared transactions. Quicken downloads the transactions that went from pending to actual transactions a second time. This leads to account balance problems unless checking previously cleared/reconciled transactions are manually matched.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Today's software update from Quicken resolved the problem at least for me. I hope you all have the same results!
  • rhunter60
    rhunter60 Member ✭✭

The software update did not resolve the problem for me. The error continues.

• Since a update earlier this month, my USAA checking account will not balance properly. "Pending" transactions are not being downloaded in the update. But they are being used as part of the "cleared balance". They are being used in the "statement ending balance", causing an erronious final balance. Todays update (Version R48.15 HF2) has not fixed the issue. See attached screen shot. I have used Quicken since the early 90's. I have never had problems like this before. I am not alone in this issue. We need a fix ASAP.

Thank you,

Michael

• 58kopykat
    58kopykat Member ✭✭
    What I am seeing as the issue is that Quicken is using the available balance from USAA but NOT downloading the pending transactions. If I go to the USAA website and manually add the pending transactions I can balance in Quicken. I wish there was a way for Q to use the current balance (as opposed to the pending balance) OR download the pending transactions. Either way would resolve this issue.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    I got an email from Quicken telling me to update my USAA accounts. The small print says this does not apply to Direct Connect which I use. Since going back to a Direct Connect from EWC, my accounts have balanced correctly.
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭

Same problem and the same beginning balance issue on my USAA credit card. Deleted that spurious starting balance and everything was fine. That wrong starting balance was not there last month. No idea where it came from.

• jcpistone
    jcpistone Member ✭✭
    This is the same issue that was resolved about a week ago. Pending transactions from the merchant will not show up in the online balance. The issue is with the "category pending" which is a USAA action to assign a category to every transaction. For about a week the categories were being assigned very quickly, now there are transactions with "category pending" from 3/21 that have not downloaded into quicken (four days and counting). Why is this system breaking so frequently? I guess we will have to wait until Monday. I can assure you that there is no one in IT at USAA on the weekend capable of fixing this problem.
  • LongTimeRK
    LongTimeRK Member ✭✭
    Adding to the list of frustrated Quicken users - The problem of not being able to reconcile USAA account to the online balance has been happening for at least a month. As stated in another message the problem is related to use of the "Available Balance" (includes pending transactions that are not downloaded) rather than a balance of just posted transactions.

This is not just an inconvenience - frequent reconciliation to the online balance is important part of monitoring for fraudulent transactions.
This discussion has been closed.