Fidelity retirement account duplicated all transactions

Heidi O.
Heidi O. Member ✭✭✭
Upon updating my 401k this morning, all my stock was duplicated by Quicken. Had no problems previously so not sure what's going on.

Best Answers

• Heidi O.
    Heidi O. Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I deleted the account and re added it and that seems to have worked!

Answers

• dgb
    dgb Member ✭✭
    Same thing noted this morning after updating Fidelity account. Tried to restore from recent back up and same thing happened.
  • RickTausend
    RickTausend Member
    After the new version upgrade my Fidelity Investments are double entries. Called Quicken support and he wanted me to share my screen and I would not do that! Anyone else having this issue? How do I fix?
  • aeflynn
    aeflynn Member ✭✭
    This also happened to me today. It looks like I now have two versions of each security account. The first has a price history that ends yesterday (3/6/23) and the NEW (duplicate) one has a price history of only 3/7/2023. Screen shot attached. Is there a way to delete the new second one?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• aeflynn
    aeflynn Member ✭✭

RickO - thank you. I did not see any evidence that the Symbol changed. BUT - I used your instructions to “merge” both versions of the duplicate security into one. The Market Value went back to the correct amount. To confirm, this is what you wrote, and it worked for me:

"If the number of duplicates isn't too huge, you can probably fix these manually by merging the securities. Open the Securities window (Window menu) and select a pair using command-click. Then click the Merge Securities button at the bottom. When asked which name/symbol to use, choose the new one (with the 2 on the end). After merging, you can edit the security name to remove the “ 2”. "

• GregM
    GregM Member ✭✭
    One of my 401k accounts is held at Fidelity. I have been downloading this account for a couple of years without issue (detailed view). This morning the account balance was close to doubled. This account only has one retirement-date-based holding. In the Portfolio I see:

HoldingName Price Shares Cost Basis Market Value Gain/Loss
    WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 31.39 25 700.00 784.75 84.75
    WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 2 31.04 25 Add 776.00 776.00

The number of shares used here is just for illustrative purposes and I used values calculated from that in the example. Both lines have the same number of shares.

All the transactions in the account are for "WT BR LIFEPATH 2035". The price and values for "WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 2" are correct and match Fidelity online. Up until this morning the only holding listed was "WT BR LIFEPATH 2035".

This account has been tracked in Quicken since 2021-09-23. On that date I entered an "Add Shares" to add shares in the account before the account was tracked and downloading transactions. Today Quicken is adding in another "Add Shares" transaction using the same 2021-09-23 transaction date to add the total number of shares in the account today. And it is using an incorrect prince and the "WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 2" holding name.

How do I fix this? I have deleted the Add Shoes transaction Quicken added but every time the account is updated quicken is adding it back.
  • GregM
    GregM Member ✭✭
    Sorry - didn't expect the spaces to be removed from my example. Here is it using a "---" column separator:

HoldingName --- Price --- Shares --- CostBasis --- MarketValue --- Gain/Loss
    WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 --- 31.39 --- 25 --- 700.00 --- 784.75 --- 84.75
    WT BR LIFEPATH 2035 2 --- 31.04 --- 25 --- Add --- 776.00 --- 776.00
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

aeflynn12:26 pm

RickO - thank you. I did not see any evidence that the Symbol changed. BUT - I used your instructions to “merge” both versions of the duplicate security into one. The Market Value went back to the correct amount. To confirm, this is what you wrote, and it worked for me:

If you check the two versions of the security, you will see they have different symbols (since it is not possible to have two securities in the database with the same symbol). What I'm speculating happened is the symbol changed on the Fidelity side. Then when you connected, it downloaded the holding under the new symbol, but did not delete the holding under the old symbol. Merging the securities combined it into one holding again and preserved the price and transaction history.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jimal
    Jimal Member ✭✭
    Just did my semi-regular transaction update, and magically my wife's Fidelity NetBenefits 401(k) is worth about twice what it was before the update. I look at the Portfolio and now every fund has a duplicate (i.e. INFLATION STRATEGY AND INFLATION STRATEGY 2), with the same number of shares, but different prices. When I look at transactions, I see a series of Add Shares placeholder transactions dated 9/28/2020, a day before the first transactions were downloaded from Fidelity. I can delete those placeholders and get the market value to the last time I updated prices on 3/5, but if I update the account the placeholders return. I'm getting no errors, just these duplicate funds.

Clearly Quicken did something it wasn't supposed to with the downloaded data. How do I fix this?
  • unix_admin
    unix_admin Member

I have the same issue beginning today on Mac version.
    Similarly, there is also a duplicate fund for each of my funds with a ‘2’ at the end.
    These duplicates were all added with a date of 11/12/2015! and they result in my balance being at least double of reality.

• unix_admin
    unix_admin Member

Saw the message about merging but that is a scary proposition and I fear making things worse. It seems ‘deleting’ these duplicate entries would be the reasonable way to correct balance… but what do I know.

• aeflynn
    aeflynn Member ✭✭

I made a backup before merging. So far, the merge has worked fine, the duplicates did not return when I re-ran the updates. And my accounts now match what is on Fidelity's site. Will see how it goes tomorrow when I run the update again…

• brentk89
    brentk89 Member

Same issue…..as of todays update I have duplicate funds for each of my funds in Fidelity account. Total of portfolio is roughly double what it actually is. Assume it is something Fidelity changed on their side. Not sure how to remedy the issue.

• Len
    Len Member ✭✭
    I wish Quicken support was as well informed as this group. Merging worked so far. BTW...my accounts duplicated without any transactions, giving credence to changing symbols at Fidelity.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@brentk89 You would, of course, want to make a backup before doing this major or a change. But the problem with simply deleting the duplicate is that it will come back on the next update. If you delete the orginal, then you lose all the price history that has accumulated.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • SK2020
    SK2020 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here - but I've bene deleting the "new" securities - but will try merging them
  • dgb
    dgb Member ✭✭

Merging worked for me. Thanks RickO. Took under 4 minutes to fix 7 funds. Followed RickO's instructions. Backed up the file first just in case. 😀 I'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

• Skellicker
    Skellicker Member
    edited March 2023

Within the last week, I've notced that the account value has doubled. I can see duplicate funds with no starting value but don't know how to delete the duplicate funds. I don't see any duplicate transactions, just the new fund in the summary.

• aeflynn
    aeflynn Member ✭✭
    > @dgb said:
    > Merging worked for me. Thanks RickO. Took under 4 minutes to fix 7 funds. Followed RickO's instructions. Backed up the file first just in case. 😀 I'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

After merging yesterday, the securities on multiple Fidelity accounts updated just fine today. I think RickO's solution is the best so far, especially considering we have heard nothing from Quicken Support.
  • drt_sc
    drt_sc Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with my Fidelity 401k account regarding duplicate securities. I'm not going to take any action yet. I'll wait for Quicken support to resolve.
  • Len
    Len Member ✭✭
    After merging yesterday, an update today did not create more dups.
  • drt_sc
    drt_sc Member ✭✭
    The merging of securities did NOT work for me. It just caused duplicate transactions. The amount in my account is still double what it should be.
  • aeflynn
    aeflynn Member ✭✭
    > @drt_sc said:
    > The merging of securities did NOT work for me. It just caused duplicate transactions. The amount in my account is still double what it should be.

Did you merge the old *into* the new one? From RickO: "When asked which name/symbol to use, choose the new one (with the 2 on the end)"
    If not, you risk recreating the duplicate issue.
    Hopefully you can restore from the pre-merge backup.
  • soccervbdad
    soccervbdad Member

I'm having the same issues; 2 days in a row now. The security is listed in the ‘Dashboard’ view with the security name having a ‘2’ at the end of the name. When I go into the individual Transactions, there is 1 row at the very bottom that I can delete and its back to normal but I'm guessing this is going to continue until the problem is resolved.

• drt_sc
    drt_sc Member ✭✭
    @aeflynn Thank you! I restored from a backup and merged using the new names of the securities and it worked.
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, I am sorry for the trouble caused. We have reported and escalated this issue. We also have an open alert that you can check for updates. Thank you for your patience as we work on resolving this.

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Same here :(
  • zx9r
    zx9r Member ✭✭
    I also found shares doubled after downloads on 3/7. There is no transaction and no affect after trying a "remove shares".

Regarding symbols, in my case the new shares are from an fund that was replaced in 2016 and the security has no symbol, while the actual one does.

Also now have an issue with restoring from a backup, that it claims I have no quicken cloud data and wants me to start anew...
This discussion has been closed.