Where is the Transaction Types list?

Ozfever
Ozfever Member ✭✭
Quicken Premier [Mac], Version 6.12.3 (Build 612.47885.100)

Problem: I am attempting to add (Bank) Interest Income:

Quicken Help: To record interest income...
1. In the sidebar, select the investment account you want to use. [√]
2. Click the Transactions tab [√] and then click the New Transaction icon in the register toolbar.[√]
3. Select Income > Interest from the Transaction Types list. [where?]

I see a drop down under Transactions: "Any Type" and it gives the option of "Income" or "Spending" but nowhere does it offer "Income>Interest". I can work around this, but I am trying to follow the Help and am lost. Can anyone offer advice? - Jeff

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

As this is an investment account, open the account's setting. On the Details pane, make sure Detailed is selected as the Investment Tracking Method (not Simple).

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ozfever
    Ozfever Member ✭✭
    Hi RickO,
    Problem: I am attempting to add (Bank) Interest Income:
    Quicken Help gives instructions that at step #3 simply do not exist as far as I can find. Just thought that I was missing something. I will go with a work-around, but thanks for your reply.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

You enter it in the Type column of the transaction you're adding. It defaults to Buy but you can change it:

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

It sounds like you are putting an interest transaction in a banking account rather than an investment account. The instructions you are trying to follow (and those of Jon's screenshot above) are only applicable to Investment accounts (those in the Investing account group), not those in the Banking account group.

To enter an interest income transaction in a Banking account, you don't need to worry about the Transaction Type since that column doesn't exist in Banking accounts. Instead, create a new transaction. In the Amount column, enter the interest with a plus sign. In the Category column, enter Personal Income:Interest Earned (assuming you are using Quicken's default categories). If you are not using the default categories, you will need to create an "Interest Earned” income category.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ozfever
    Ozfever Member ✭✭
    RickO,
    Right, I am dealing with simple Bank interest, not investments. I have not been keeping up with Quicken for over a year and am trying to catch up – also dealing with new software. I guess I misread the instructions for interest being only for investments only. Thanks you, and Jon, for your clarification. I am now good to go.
This discussion has been closed.