USAA Reauthorize Fail

I have now received the dreaded USAA reauthorize message for multiple USAA accounts I have in Quicken. When I click the button I get taken to a USAA web page that is blank white except for this cryptic code:

{
"error": "invalid_request",
"error_description": "Validation error"
}

Yes, tried it again, same result. Is this it for Quicken? I will not use the product if it stops working with USAA, and I will not risk having 20 years of account data scrambled by this migration as some other users have reported. Can't seem to reach chat either, it's either closed or backed up until next week. Has anyone else seen this message?

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA. If you wish to contribute to the investigation while it remains ongoing, then we ask that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem from within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached as well as add “Attn: CTP-6050” to the title/subject line.

Thank you!
    (CTP-6050)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• PI Guy
    PI Guy Member
    Answer ✓
    Running latest update Win 10 and latest quicken update. This error occurs with Google Chrome brower (latest update) but not under MS Edge (which I detest) the only way I've got my USAA accounts (5 accts) to connect is to make Edge the default browser, set up the connections, then set my browser default back to Chrome - a real PITA. I've had to do this 3 times in the last month, because it seems every time there is a Quicken update, it screws up the USAA connectivity. All my other bank/credit/broker account connectivity works just fine. I'm a 30+ year Quicken user and all these frequent updates to Quicken appear to go out untested - let the users test it! I've go to go thru this BS again today, because once again none of thee USAA accounts will download.

Answers

• Oh, I have tried it on three different browsers and it always results in some variation of the error. Sometimes I actually log into USAA and when I click the authorize button I get taken to a white screen with some variation of "validation error" language. Clearly a very broken process....
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Hello @no-other-choice,   

We are sorry about this problem with reauthorizing accounts. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Are you currently making use of any antivirus software, pop-up blockers, or Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)? If so, note that it may be necessary to remove these, at least temporarily, in order to troubleshoot this issue further. Also, how many USAA accounts are you operating at once? What version of Windows are you currently running? Also, are you operating any hidden accounts, currently?

You can check this by following the steps below:

1. n the Account List, click the account you want to view.
    2. Click Edit.
    3. Click the Display Options tab.
    4. Click to clear the appropriate check box. For example, click to clear the Hide this account in Account Bar check box to view the account in Account Bar.
    5. Click OK.
    We look forward to hearing more from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • cheeser
    cheeser Member
    I am having the exact same issue with Windows 11 even after disabling Norton and the Edge browser pop up blocker. The accounts list suggestion didnt provide any help either.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    Also having same issue on Windows 11, Chrome Browser, no adblock, allowing 3rd party cookies, etc. This is followed by an internal message from my USAA android phone app telling me that reauthorization was successful and quicken is now enabled. However, Quicken doesn't seem to know that and keeps wanting me to reauthorize. Jeeze, didn't anybody TEST this?
  • DoubleEagle
    DoubleEagle Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I received the same message using Edge. After trying several things to try to get it to work in Edge, I changed my default browser to Chrome and got it to work. Based on the above, it appears that does not work for everyone - this was/is much, much harder than it should be. (Windows 11 on PC)
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA. If you wish to contribute to the investigation while it remains ongoing, then we ask that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem from within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached as well as add “Attn: CTP-6050” to the title/subject line.

Thank you!
    (CTP-6050)

-Quicken Anja

• PI Guy
    PI Guy Member
    Answer ✓
    Running latest update Win 10 and latest quicken update. This error occurs with Google Chrome brower (latest update) but not under MS Edge (which I detest) the only way I've got my USAA accounts (5 accts) to connect is to make Edge the default browser, set up the connections, then set my browser default back to Chrome - a real PITA. I've had to do this 3 times in the last month, because it seems every time there is a Quicken update, it screws up the USAA connectivity. All my other bank/credit/broker account connectivity works just fine. I'm a 30+ year Quicken user and all these frequent updates to Quicken appear to go out untested - let the users test it! I've go to go thru this BS again today, because once again none of thee USAA accounts will download.
  • leonhardtb
    leonhardtb Member

Okay, this issue is now over 15 days old and no resolution is available? The american express fiasco was most difficult enough and now this. It seems that protocols are changing and Quicken is caught flat footed and unable to respond where they are/where the gold standard.

Quicken, please take the time to update everyone on this SIGNIFICANT issue. This is extremely time sensitive and important to people who are actively managinging their finances.

Please stay engaged.

• DoubleEagle
    DoubleEagle Member ✭✭
    After working for a few days, for the last two days no new transactions will download. In April 2022 there was an issue with downloading USAA transactions that took weeks to resolve. Here we are less than a year later and faced with yet another downloading issue. Why is this so hard?
  • Col Lucky
    Col Lucky Member

The fix is easy… leave USAA.

I would encourage everyone to leave USAA banking… and let them know why. I've been having issues with them screwing around with the Pay Bills function in their web browser to improper account updates into quicken and now this recurring “reauthorizing” process. None of the other financial institutions I use suffer this kind of incompetence.

My savings and credit cards are now with Capital One… USAA has become so poor in thier customer service I had to come to Quicken to find out what USAA has screwed up now. I've been with USAA for ~40 years… I'm leaving.

• Col Lucky
    Col Lucky Member

I guess “easy” isn't he best way to phrase that… moving banks is a mess today… but the aggravation USAA has generated over the last few years has cemented my decision.

• dlbarton
    dlbarton Member ✭✭
    Yes, I've see this message today, March 11th. I am running Quicken on a Mac and am VERY concerned that Quicken has not yet resolved this issue!!
  • debionken
    debionken Member

Just updated and walked into a nightmare. USAA shows I'm reauthorized, however Quicken doesn't seem to know it. Additionally Amex Personal Savings no longer exists or something? And several of my other bank and credit card accounts decided to download transactions from last year - it was easier just to "reconcile" and allow these huge "adjustments" then to try and figure what what the heck happened. That'll teach me to install updates. Quicken became quicksand and I've wasted hours trying to figure it out.

• DoubleEagle
    DoubleEagle Member ✭✭
    I just now did a 1-step update and all my USAA accounts downloaded transactions - yeehaw! Hopefully it will continue.
  • NCRoger
    NCRoger Member

QUICKEN FIX THIS PROBLEM or I am ending my very long term relationship with you! USAA constattly asks for reauthorixation, then Quiken downloads USAA transdactions to the wrong accounts some not even USAA!

• Jeffro28
    Jeffro28 Member ✭✭

What I think is the master thread (

) says this issue is now "Resolved", but I don't know what that means beacuse I continue to experience the issue with USAA authroization exactly the same way as I have for the past monthy on Quicken for Windows R48.15. Nothing seems to have change, improved, or resolved.

• Hello @Jeffro28,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Are you still getting the "invalid _request" "Validation error" message when trying to reauthorize?

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you are receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Jeffro28
    Jeffro28 Member ✭✭

Thanks, Kristina. Yes, I am still getting the error. There's not much of a screenshot to share, to be honest. I try to "Activate One Step Update" (the normal process for doing so on an account in Quicken) on my USAA account. That process launches the Chrome browser, presumably to connect to the USAA API, and I get a page in my browser that says only the following:

{
    "error": "invalid_request",
    "error_description": "Validation error"
    }

This is the same behavior I've been seeing for the past few weeks. I replied here again, since the master issue says this is "Resolved", but the behavior/error hasn't changed for me.

• Thank you for your reply @Jeffro28,

Since you are still experiencing the issue and it has been marked as resolved, I would recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.