Positive balance credit card

Patrice
Patrice Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in All Things Canadian (Mac)

Hello, I just created an account for a new credit card. Although the balance of this account is negative, Quicken calculates a positive balance (in black). I know this issue has been raised before but I still haven't found a solution. Anyone have a solution? THANKS

Answers

• Hello @Patrice

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this a manual account or are you downloading the information from the Financial Institution? When you pull up the account register and go to account settings (the gear icon in the lower right hand corner of the register), details tab, do you see Credit Card showing as the Type?

If the account settings are correct, you may need to go through the transactions to find what is showing incorrectly that would be pushing the balance into the positive. You can do that by making sure the register is sorted by date, then scrolling through the list until you see where the balance goes positive. Review the transaction(s) and correct if appropriate.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Patrice
    Patrice Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your answer but:
    All my transactions are well recorded. I download transactions from my banking institution. My bank balance is NEGATIVE but when I want to reconcile my transactions Quicken corrects the balance to bring it back to a positive value. This problem is already raised by other users but I can't find any valid solution.
  • Hello and thank you for the information. Just to clarify, is Quicken making an adjustment when you reconcile that brings the balance positive?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Patrice
    Patrice Member ✭✭
    Hello, yes Quicken offers me an amount to adjust the balance and bring it back to a positive value, which is not the case.
    Thank you.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response. Is the online balance from the financial institution showing as a positive or negative number in your Quicken? Is everything in Quicken correct until you do the reconcile? Do you do the reconcile using the online balance or using a statement?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Patrice
    Patrice Member ✭✭
    I reconcile with the online balance. The "use online balance" shows a negative amount but when I press on the "next" tab the online balance appears positive and Quicken offers an adjustment to finish the reconciliation.
  • Thank you for providing more information.

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed. 

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Patrice
    Patrice Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I don't speak enough English to converse on the phone. Anyhow, thanks for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrice ,
    are you talking about entering "Ending Balance" information on this screen?

When you owe money to the credit card company and the Running Balance in your Quicken register is shown as a negative amount in red, you enter the amount as positive number, e.g., 123.45.
    Yes, that's weird, but the programmers apparently decided that you should type in the amount as shown on your credit card statement … and the banks always show the amount you owe as a positive number, without a minus sign, e.g., 123.45

Only when your account is overpaid due to an unexpected refund or rebate will it be necessary to enter the Ending Balance amount as negative number. Yes, as -123.45, for example. Quicken will correctly calculate the overpaid balance. In that case, the credit card statement would show the amount as 123.45CR (or similar).

This discussion has been closed.