Allow budget to be a single number for Expenses (Q Mac)

Jon
Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

I'd like to be able to just enter a single number for Expenses in the budget rather than have to make up numbers for all the individual categories. I don't need to know whether I spent more or less than some arbitrary target value on Food and Clothing and Entertainment & a dozen other categories, I just need to know if my total spending is too high or not. I'm currently doing this in a spreadsheet, it would be nice to have it within Quicken.

You can already do this with subcategories - if you don't want to budget the subcategories you can remove them from the budget and just enter a single number for the parent category. This would be doing the same thing with Categories as well, letting you remove them from the budget & enter a single number for the parent category "Expenses".

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Jon Isn't this really just an edge case for creating the "Everything Else" feature? In your situation where you don't want to track any expense categories, just the total (which I think isn't what 99% of budget users would do) — you'd simply include no expense categories in your budget, so "Everything Else" would show all your expenses.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I agree I'm probably an edge case, but this is the main reason I don't even try to use Quicken's budgeting feature so i decided to put it out there. The "Everything Else" category would probably be an acceptable alternative, I went ahead & added my vote to that as well.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.