Quicken friendly banks

Options

Sorry if this the wrong place to post this question. After wating for more than an hour waiting for customer service at my bank (Citizens Bank) only to be told that they do not answer questions about Quicken (they just acquired Invesors Bank and required all Investors users to make significant changes to Quicken) I am going to change banks. I am wondering which banks (NJ or the four large banks) actually support customers use of Quicken. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Best Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

BofA supports Quicken transactions - I've not had any issues….

• raylock1
    raylock1 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for all of the responses. I learned alot. I had an account with the first totally internet bank back in the early 90's until it was acquired by a brick and morter bank. I was dissapointed when that happened. So an all internet bank is an option. Although I have used Quicken since its inception (how many years ago), I didn't realize that there was more than one way for a bank to connect. That is probably the cause of my problem with Citizens. Thanks again for the comments.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

BofA supports Quicken transactions - I've not had any issues….

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I've had checking and savings accounts with BoA and Chase, and credit cards with both of them as well as Citi. i didn't have any problems with any of them working with Quicken so I never had to contact any of them for help with Quicken either. I can't speak to what kind of experience you'll have if you do.

If Bill Pay support matters to you, I'll point out that BoA and Chase do not support Direct Connect; Citi does for credit cards, but not banking. So those three won't support Bill Pay. It looks like Wells Fargo still does support it but I have no experience banking with them other than a mortgage, and that was a long time ago.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are running Quicken for Windows, look for the HIDDEN file, fidir.txt, at C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019. It is a list of all of the participating Quicken financial institutions. There are different columns for Web Connect, Express Web Connect and Direct Connect download support.

Make a copy of the file and look at it with a spreadsheet program (or Notepad if no spreadsheet). A spreadsheet program shows it in columns better.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wells Fargo and PNC Bank both have branches in NJ and they have worked well for me. Both also currently support DC Bank Bill Pay (scheduling bill payments directly with the banks from within Quicken) with no monthly fee for most personal types of checking accounts.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Do you really need local branches? I've been using Salem Five online bank for a couple years now. They support direct connect (including bank bill pay) which instantly reflects changes made on the Quicken side. Customer service is good. Fee free ATM network. Savings account rates pretty good. I have not had the need for a physical branch in all this time.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree that for many people banking no longer requires brick-and-morter branches. This is evidenced by the large number of branches that are closing, have scaled back on hours of operation and/or have reduced staffing….they can no longer justify all of the historical expenses involved with maintaining their previous operating presence.

Almost all banks, both large and small as well as both national and regional, now offer fully online banking experiences. I deal with 5 banks and 1 credit union in Quicken and haven't set foot in any of them in years (except for my local PNC branch which I do go there 3-4 times a year to take advantage of their free Notary Public services).

I did mention Wells Fargo and PNC Bank above because they offer free DC support and free Bank Bill Pay (scheduling bill pays from within Quicken).

If free Bank Bill Pay is not needed, US Bank offers free EWC connection support and bill pays can be scheduled for free on the USB website. (DC support can be obtained with a monthly fee charged by USB and then Bank Bill Pay can be used.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• raylock1
    raylock1 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for all of the responses. I learned alot. I had an account with the first totally internet bank back in the early 90's until it was acquired by a brick and morter bank. I was dissapointed when that happened. So an all internet bank is an option. Although I have used Quicken since its inception (how many years ago), I didn't realize that there was more than one way for a bank to connect. That is probably the cause of my problem with Citizens. Thanks again for the comments.

• raylock1
    raylock1 Member
    Options

Is there a page that describes the different connections (web, express) with the functionality of each?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

This site goes into the details of each, make sure you click on the little arrows to open up the detailed explanations.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.