Random accounts added to my Quicken File after validating

jnprop
jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

I signed into into Quicken and had 7 accounts added to my, They were all named like similar to ACCT_70b (the numbers and letters were different) I was able to delete them all except one. When I right click it pops up the window to delete but when I click “Edit/Delete Account” nothing happens. How do I delete this one?

Anyone ever seen random accounts adde like this after validating a file? Why does it occur?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

This indicates a corrupt data file. You will need to restore back to a file that when validated does not display this behavior. Further information is available here https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows using the copy and validate option.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm having even more issues now. I have damaged data block & file. As I understand there is no fix for this. I have went back for several months on back ups and so far all are damaged. Im freaking out because I have 10 years of data. I run my rental company too. So one can imagine I have numerous, numerous accounts...40 monthly bills in bill manager, multiple retirement accounts...on & on it goes.

If I have to start a new file, can transactions be copied and moved to the new file?

I can't imagine the effort to start a new file, that will take many hours to accomplish. It makes me sick to even think of having to do this.

I need any & all help I can get!

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I would suggest to go as far back as necnecessary to find a file that is not corrupt, be it weeks or months. You are then in a better position to determine your best path forward.

Once you have gotten back to a "solid" file, I would suggest using a best practices approach to data hygiene. This includes stopping all web "features" in Quicken. Never leaving a Quicken session open if you are not at your PC and never ever overnight. Use selective updates when presented with the option to upgrade to new version. Reviewing this forum for feedback on most recent upgrades can highlight issues you may want to wait. Use the modo patch rather than installing within Quicken.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @GeoffG. I definately left my file open all the time. I used it so much. And I used the web features. Im still thinking about what to do here. Also thinking of looking at other financial software. Its limited I know. I need one that can run my personal & business(rental) together. Currently, im unable to even look at it at all as it makes me sick to my

This discussion has been closed.