How many times do I have to reauthorize my AMEX account for the new type of download?

I have done this at least 10 times and it still pops up when I try to do a one step update.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello @rodgerh1128,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you are constantly getting a prompt to reauthorize your account, that means Quicken still sees an account connected by the old connection method. When that reauthorize prompt comes up, it shows the financial institution name in bold and the account name that needs to be reauthorized below (see example below).

Is the account name it is showing one that is currently in use, or is it an unused/closed account?

If the account is unused or closed, you can resolve the issue by deactivating the account in Quicken.

If it is a current account, you would want to check your Quicken to see if you have any extra American Express accounts connected. The easiest way to check this is by going to Tools>Account List. It is a good idea to check the Show hidden accounts checkbox at the lower left (This box is visible only if you have hidden accounts). You would be looking for any account that shows Yes and a connection type in () in the Transaction Download column and shows American Express in the Financial institution column.

If you do have extra/duplicate accounts, you would resolve the issue by doing the following:

1. Backup your file.
    2. Deactivate the original and the duplicate American Express accounts.
    3. Reconnect by going to Tools>Add Account, searching for your financial institution, and following the prompts.
    4. American Express will redirect you to their website to authorize.
    5. Once you get the sucess screen from American Express, go back to your Quicken.
    6. You should see the Add/Link screen in Quicken. It will list the bank name it sees coming from your financial institution, the account type, the nickname to download to in Quicken, and the action (Add to Quicken, Link to Existing Account, Don't Add to Quicken). Before hitting Next, make sure Quicken is seeing the correct nickname for the account to download into. If it is not, hit the dropdown box at the right, select Link to Existing, and choose the correct nickname from the list. Once everything reflects correctly, hit next.
    7. Verify that it did download into the correct account.
    8. Once you have verified that it is downloading correctly and to the correct place, you can delete any duplicate accounts.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rodgerh1128
    rodgerh1128 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for your response. I do have an old AMEX account that is not being used anymore. I will try what you have suggested and see what happens.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello @rodgerh1128,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you are constantly getting a prompt to reauthorize your account, that means Quicken still sees an account connected by the old connection method. When that reauthorize prompt comes up, it shows the financial institution name in bold and the account name that needs to be reauthorized below (see example below).

Is the account name it is showing one that is currently in use, or is it an unused/closed account?

If the account is unused or closed, you can resolve the issue by deactivating the account in Quicken.

If it is a current account, you would want to check your Quicken to see if you have any extra American Express accounts connected. The easiest way to check this is by going to Tools>Account List. It is a good idea to check the Show hidden accounts checkbox at the lower left (This box is visible only if you have hidden accounts). You would be looking for any account that shows Yes and a connection type in () in the Transaction Download column and shows American Express in the Financial institution column.

If you do have extra/duplicate accounts, you would resolve the issue by doing the following:

1. Backup your file.
    2. Deactivate the original and the duplicate American Express accounts.
    3. Reconnect by going to Tools>Add Account, searching for your financial institution, and following the prompts.
    4. American Express will redirect you to their website to authorize.
    5. Once you get the sucess screen from American Express, go back to your Quicken.
    6. You should see the Add/Link screen in Quicken. It will list the bank name it sees coming from your financial institution, the account type, the nickname to download to in Quicken, and the action (Add to Quicken, Link to Existing Account, Don't Add to Quicken). Before hitting Next, make sure Quicken is seeing the correct nickname for the account to download into. If it is not, hit the dropdown box at the right, select Link to Existing, and choose the correct nickname from the list. Once everything reflects correctly, hit next.
    7. Verify that it did download into the correct account.
    8. Once you have verified that it is downloading correctly and to the correct place, you can delete any duplicate accounts.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rodgerh1128
    rodgerh1128 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for your response. I do have an old AMEX account that is not being used anymore. I will try what you have suggested and see what happens.
  • rodgerh1128
    rodgerh1128 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Quicken Kristina, your suggestion worked and the issue of reauthorizing my AMEX account has been corrected!
This discussion has been closed.