Quicken for MAC. Mileage

Barbara3
Barbara3 Member ✭✭
Is it possible on a MAC to track mileage. I've seen replies for Windows but not MAC. Thank you

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

The Quicken for Mac program has no feature to track mileage at this time.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

The Quicken for Mac program has no feature to track mileage at this time.

• Barbara3
    Barbara3 Member ✭✭
    Thank you
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023

There's a suggestion to add mileage tracking to Quicken Mac. If you haven't already done so, you should add your vote.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I'm not familar with how the mileage tracking in QWin works, but I'm wondering if you could just make a cash account and use that to record mileage? Use the various fields for various aspects of the tracking. You might even set the currency to some rarely-used foreign currency and manually set the conversion rate based on a mileage reimbursement rate. Yes, a workaround to be sure, but might be usable?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Barbara3
    Barbara3 Member ✭✭
    RickO Thank you. This sounds like it might work for me. I don't know how to set foreign currency rates in Quicken. Can you get me started maybe?
  • RickO

I'll preface this reply by saying I never have used foreign currency and my earlier suggestion was just a thought. In looking further, I'm not sure it would work. Sure, you could create a cash account and just pretend the dollar amounts you enter are really miles. But if you set that account to a foreign currency, there seems to be very limited ability to show or report the converted values. The only place I can find to see converted values is if you set the Sidebar setting in Quicken Settings to show Foreign Balances in Home Currency. In reports and in the account register, you can only show the values in the foreign currency. That said, the place that you sent the manual currency conversion in in Window > Currency (after having set up at least one foreign currency account).

But, I have another idea. You could set up an investment account (type Other) and a Security called "mile" (type Other). Then add shares of "mile" to the account. Enter a price for the security "mile" of however many cents per mile you want to track. Then you'd have information available in the Portfolio view as well as the ability to generate some reports.

• Barbara3
    Barbara3 Member ✭✭
    RickO...Your last suggestion works well, a bit more work but worth it. Thank you for the idea.
  • RickO

You're welcome

This discussion has been closed.