Best Piece of Advice Ever Received...

Quicken Jasmine
Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
edited May 2023 in The Water Cooler

Hello Hello Hello, wonderful people of the Quicken World.

I thought for this month that we could discuss the best piece of advice that we were ever given.

Maya Angelou once said, “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” Frequently cited by Oprah as some of the best advice she’s ever received, this quote serves as a reminder of a simple truth: We’re all figuring out this thing called life as we grow through it. We’re all doing the best we can based on the information and resources we have at our disposal. But some things are simply better learned through experience.

Do your best. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You will do better when you know how. And you often only find out when you get there.

I look forward to hearing some advice given that resonated with you!

Have a wonderful March!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

"You are exactly where you need to be. Be patient, and stop rushing."

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I remember a career councelor years ago saying that you should really be sure you aim for the things you actually enjoy and believe in, rather than whatever someone else imagines you might like or whatever is perceived to bring the easiest route to success. She told me about how she had let people talk her out of getting into the legal field and it was such a huge mistake. I definitely think about that a lot; sage advice that's more relevant than ever, given the societal fixation on status I've noticed as of late.

Being patient and doing what you can are definitely helpful pieces of advice, as well!

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

“When in doubt, dress up” is what my boss suggested when I asked if a certain event was casual or business. He said you will appear stylish and respectful, and you can always tone it down to casual if needed but cannot do the opposite.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta

“Pay attention”

I can't remember the name of the woman being interviewed on CBC years ago, when I lived close enough to the Canadian border to get CBC (pre-streaming days).

She meant it in every possible way… to truly listen, with empathy, to others … but also to pay attention to what is happening in the world and in one's community, and work to make things better.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Given to me a long time ago. Supervisors of a division of a company were called to account by CEO about lack of production in their departments. Says CEO, "Production is down, need more production". Respond supervisors, "Sir, we can get more production, if only we had better equipment". CEO ponders that a moment, then says, "You could be right, let me think on that", then walks away. After taking a few steps, stops and turns, saying; "Be careful about what you want, you may get it".
  • Pedro504
    Pedro504 Member ✭✭✭
    Consider not only your own interests but also the interests of others.

You Don't Have to Have a Point, To Have A Point

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Gee, NotACPA. So sad for your loss. Thanks for sharing. Good advice. Someone I cared deeply about passed along a quote to me concerning their imminent death. Maybe you or other's find it comforting. Won't quote it all here. But if so inclined, read Thanatopsis, meaning "a view of & or reflections on death;" especially the last verse.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My father's actual words (he wrote them in a "Congratulations!" card he sent to me after I started my first full-time job after graduating from college). 45 yrs later I still have that card.:

Always strive to keep your priorities in the right order.:

1. Live for and take care of yourself…because no one else can do that for you.
    2. Live for and take care of your family…because they will always be there for you.
    3. Live for and take care of your friends…because they will bring you joy and happiness.
    4. Live for and take care of your employer…but only so far as they help you to live for and take care of yourself, your family and your friends.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• fanfare
    fanfare Member, Windows Beta Beta

an advisor said:

"7% interest will bring money from the moon."

I had a chance 22 years ago to buy 30-year bonds at 7 5/8 % but I skipped on it.

We may be approaching that area again. Thanks to Mr. Powell

• deriter
    deriter Member ✭✭✭

It's easier to do a job right the first time then to try and explain why you didn't.

• jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta

As early in life as one can, visualize where you want to be and who you want to become. Draw an image if necesarry, but SEE it all and decisions you make thereafter will subconsciously work towards achieving that long ago set goal.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Sometimes we all complain about our problems and love to blame others. I was loudly complaining about a problem one day and was cut short by someone I respected with these words. "Don't always blame others for your problems, but go find a mirror, give a good look at that person staring back at you; then bless out him (or her, as case may be). Cause that's where most or your problems come from."
  • sometimes a man had to choose a path where he decided not to choose inorder to get what he choose

This discussion has been closed.