Capital One account won't reauthorize

Until today I've had no problem downloading finacial dats to my Quicken accounts. However today Quicken prompted me to reauthorize my Capital One account. I ckicke on the "start" button, the Capital on login screen appeared, I entered my information, and then a blank screen appeared. I waited for som time - no change. I reloaded the page and saw some new info saying there was a problem with a "Try Again" button. I did and I found I was in some type of endless loop that did not complet the reauthorization process. Just to check I logged in to my Capital One account from my web browser and found no issues with that process. Searching the web about this problem it seems the problem has been seen before (2021—2022) and the root cause was with Quicken. It seems it has returned. What to do now???

Comments

• Hello @Wighty44,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If I'm understanding correctly, when Quicken redirects you to Capital One to authorize your account, the browser either comes up blank or throws an error? Could you tell me which browser you are using? Have you tried setting a different browser as your default? Do you have an antivirus, VPN, or firewall active?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Wighty44
    Wighty44 Member

Yes, in part. I submitted a Problem Report today, and discussed the problem with a CapitalOne "Digital Experts" representative who (based on her research) suggested it is most likely the result of the most recent Quicken update R8.9 HF1 (Mar 2023)

Here is a copy of the problem report I sent: "On 3/18/23 after a quicken One-step data download Quicken Deluxe (R48.9 HF1 (Mar 2023) asked me to reauthorize my CatiptalOne account. After logging in to my CapitalOne account I was shown a blank CapitalOne web page whose URL was: Https://consent.capitalone.com/#/consent/customertransactions

The reauthorization process goes no further. It can not be completed. Please not that all my other account information (except for CapitalOne) dowloaded satisfactorily into Quicken during the One-Step Upadate proces.

• Wighty44
    Wighty44 Member

I use Firefox V111.0. I should note that I have had no changes to my PC configuration (or its software) other than the R48.9 HF1 Quicken update for over 2 months; and, during that time, I have had no problems D/L'g my account information into Quicken. This problem did not exist when I last used the One-Step update (2/28/23).

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited March 2023

Thank you for your reply,

The problem report shows an expired token, which is why you're being prompted to reauthorize your Capital One account. Since you mentioned that you're getting that blank screen in your browser after being redirected to Capital One, I do need some additional information. Have you tried temporarily switching to a different default browser to see if that loads properly? Are you using any antivirus, firewall, or VPN, and if so, which one?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Wighty44
    Wighty44 Member

I do not have another browser, but I have tried the reauthorize account process with my Avast Premium Security software disabled and the result is the same - blank screen on the CapitalOne page URL noted above. As I noted before I've had no prior issues with the One-Step udate process up to 2/28/23, and the only change to my PC's configuration was the Quicken R48.9 HF1 update.

• Thank you for your reply,

The next troubleshooting step for this issue would be to try temporarily setting a different browser as default. Are you willing to download one like Chrome? Or, if this is a Windows PC, it should have Edge already on it. If your version of Windows is 10 or 11, you can generally change default apps by going to the windows start button, selecting the settings gear, selecting apps, then default apps.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Wighty44
    Wighty44 Member

I D/L'd & installed Chrome and closed Firefox. Then I when through the CaptialOne auhorization process. This time it did complete and the account link is now restablish. Perhaps there is a flawed cookie that was creating the issue?

• Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear using a different browser allowed you to get your Capital One account reconnected. It is possible that something stored in the cookies or cache on the Firefox browser was causing the problem. It is also possible that an update to the browser or the website caused the two to not work as well together as they had previously.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.