Where are account passwords stored?

I gave login credentials for my accounts to Quicken, and told it to store them in the vault. Are these stored on my computer where I store the quicken data files, or in the cloud, or both? In Quicken Settings, I disabled Sync for Mobile and Web. But when I log into app.quicken.com, it appears that it is still downloading transactions from Schwab. Is this because of a connection between Quicken or Schwab, or because my credentials stored in the cloud?

Thank you,
Reza

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @Reza Taheri,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. In the Mac version of Quicken, when you are adding accounts, you'll usually see an option to save the password to your keychain. That is the keychain on your Mac computer. On your computer, its the Keychain access app, usually found at this file path: Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app. It is mostly accounts that connect by Direct Connect that need to store a password. The financial institutions that connect via the new connection method don't store any password at all; instead, when you authorize through the financial institution website, they issue a token to Quicken that verifies the program has permission to download.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023

You mention the Vault - are you on Windows? You posted in a Mac forum.

If you're using Quicken Connect (aka EWC or EWC+) as the connection method for your Schwab account then your credentials for that account are stored in the cloud even when Mobile Sync is turned off.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Reza Taheri
    Reza Taheri Member ✭✭
    Then for the reply, @Jon . Yes, I am on Mac. I had been using the Windows version from 1991 to 2022 until switching last year. Hence my still using the Windows version jargon :-)

This also answers the other question I posted a few minutes ago. It looks like the cloud version is still downloading Schwab transactions into the Web access even after I disabled Sync

I have been updating the app, and letting Quicken update the account access methods whenever Quicken suggested it had a new and improved way of downloading transactions from financial institutions. Checking my accounts, I see that I indeed have Quicken Connect for almost all of my accounts (all but one).

I need to munge on that for a while. Am I comfortable with my login credentials to all account being stored in the cloud???

Thanks,
    Reza
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @Reza Taheri,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. In the Mac version of Quicken, when you are adding accounts, you'll usually see an option to save the password to your keychain. That is the keychain on your Mac computer. On your computer, its the Keychain access app, usually found at this file path: Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app. It is mostly accounts that connect by Direct Connect that need to store a password. The financial institutions that connect via the new connection method don't store any password at all; instead, when you authorize through the financial institution website, they issue a token to Quicken that verifies the program has permission to download.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.