Why was my question closed?

EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I still have this issue. Why was my question from late 2022 closed with no discussion allowed?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Hi @EmKay . This is a forum of mostly Quicken users like you and me. We cannot say for sure why your post was closed but I do know that typically posts that have had no activity for about 30 days generally will be closed by the Moderators (Quicken employees). Your earlier post was posted on Aug 11, 2022, and it looks like it was edited sometime in Sep 2022. This means your post was probably closed in Oct 2022 due to lack of activity.

Which version of Quicken are you running? (Help > About Quicken)

Which version of Windows are you running?

Have you done any troubleshooting to try to fix this issue? If so, what have you tried doing?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I understand that it's mostly users here, but I do occasionally (I think?) see Quicken employees answering about technical issues, at times. That's what I was hoping for! But - of course - I also post here to see if I'm the only one having a particular issue which, as I know, can help with troubleshooting (if it's only me, it's not the software, it's my environment or user error).

I guess I would hope that, since the moderators are employees, they would help someone get answers rather than just closing out a bug report that has received no user responses!

I'm on Quicken Premier for Windows (subscription, so always the current version), Windows 10 Home, and I'm not really sure where to start with troubleshooting this. I am assuming it relates to the whole issue with high resolution monitors, which is the cause of another problem I've dealt with, unsolved, for a long long time (report previews).

• Hello @EmKay,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I don't know why your post didn't receive any answers in the past, but I do know that threads that haven't had any activity in 30+ days do get closed. If the issue isn't getting resolved and you haven't gotten any answers, posting to the thread again before it gets closed can push it up where we're more likely to notice and respond.

As for the issue you are running into, some high resolution monitors can have issues with how Quicken displays. Do you have Large Fonts turned on in your Quicken? You can check that by going to View>Use Large Fonts. If there is a checkmark by it, then its on. If you have Large Fonts turned on, try turning it off to see if that resolves the issue.

If that isn't the problem or doesn't resolve the issue, the next step is try adjusting the register fonts: 

1. Go to Edit > Preferences.
    2. Select Register from the list in the left panel.
    3. Click the Fonts button.
    4. In the Choose Register Font dialog, you can change to a different font and adjust the size. 

If that doesn't resolve it, then try overriding the scaling for Quicken:

1. Right-click the Quicken icon on your desktop and select Open file location.
    2. Right-click the qw.exe file and select Properties.
    3. Select the Compatibility tab.
    4. Click Change high DPI settings.
    5. Check the box for Override high DPI scaling behavior and set the Scaling performed by to Application.
    6. Click OK.

Try changing other settings in the Compatibility tab:

Before attempting these steps, be sure to make note of the settings you currently have selected. 

While in the Compatibility tab mentioned in the steps above, try unchecking all the boxes. If this doesn't resolve the issue, click the Change high DPI settings button and uncheck the boxes in that screen. 

If its still an issue after that, follow these steps:

1. Close Quicken.
    2. Right-click the desktop and then select Display settings. (Another way to get to Display settings is to select the Start button on the taskbar. Click Settings. Go to System > Display.)
    3. Use the slider to change the size of text, app and other items. Dragging the slider to the right increases the size, while dragging it to the left decreases the size
    4. Click Apply. Sign out of Windows.
    5. Log back into your computer then start Quicken. 

If none of the above listed steps resolve the issue, you can try this workaround.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina ,

Thanks for trying to help. I was NOT using large fonts. My register font was Segoe UI 8, which is pretty small, so I changed it to 10 (though it seems I need smaller, there is nothing smaller) and NOTHING changed in my Portfolio view (which is where I'm having this issue).

As for the DPI override - I actually have to go to the icon, right-click, More, File Location, Properties , then right-click on the icon file, Properties, Open File Location (detailing this for the benefit of anyone else trying to resolve this issue). THEN I can click Compatibility but, if I try to Change high DPI settings, everything is grayed out - so I actually have to select "Change settings for all users" first, THEN Change high DPI settings. In my other post (the closed one), I think I mentioned that I did try to change to Application but it didn't help, so I'm back to "System (enhanced)." All of the boxes on the compatibility screen are already unchecked.

The Windows scale and layout settings are all as recommended for my notebook. I hesitate to change system settings when only one application is having an issue. Just for fun, I did drop the scaling down 25% from the recommended setting, closed and restarted Quicken, and saw NO change in my Portfolio view column headers.

I have neither of the 2 files listed in the workaround.

So, it kind of looks like I've got everything set up well and right - but Quicken just doesn't like my display. Not knowing what's held in each column (and, yes, I know I can hover over them, but that shouldn't be necessary) is making using the Portfolio view very difficult. And the DPI/resolution issue, if you find my posts about reporting, are causing issues in other very critical areas.

I'd love to hear some other suggestions for correcting these issues.

Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023

Thank you for your reply @EmKay,

So we can look into this further, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Thank you for your reply,

The issue is still persisting and you went through more troubleshooting steps. That is why we're requesting fresh log files.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina - if you followed the link to my other post(s), you would see that I am physically UNABLE to "report a problem" and send log files. Quicken locks up and does not allow me to do this. And has, for some time.

When I look at the post about being unable to send logs, I can see you said it was a problem, were given troubleshooting steps, and did not respond after. Without a response, there's no way for us to know if the problem is resolved, if you called support, or just decided it wasn't worth pursuing further.

If you wish to try troubleshooting the issue with being unable to submit log files, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps. Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate. Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If you prefer not to troubleshoot that issue, then I'd recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I will super validate (have already validated multiple times) and report back.

FYI - I often don't update the results of troubleshooting here IF THERE'S NO CHANGE. Perhaps I should, but I've been given unhelpful steps so many times it just seems pointless, at times.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

Super validation returned no issues:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Apr 03 18:28:27 2023]
    Quicken has found 2 stock split(s) for account "G-Roth IRA 9279", security "AmCent 2015", on 12/31/2008 that might be missing.
    Maximum security reference: 112, number of securities: 112.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 3/0/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

===============================

Waited a bit, restarted Quicken, and this time the "Send a report" DID SEEM to be successful, but I cannot be sure. The reporting window still will not close, however, and Quicken is locked up requiring closing it via the Task Manager.

I will wait to hear back on the display issues I reported, but do I also need to report the failure of the Reporting function to close, after use?

• Thank you for your response,

It did not send the problem report. Let's try making a copy of the file and checking that copy to see if a) it displays portfolio column headers properly and b) it lets you send a problem report without freezing. Making a copy will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with. Generally, you would choose the full date range, but if its unable to make the copy, sometimes "shrinking" the copy by doing only the most recent years can help.

If you decide you want to use the copy instead of your original file, it's important to know that all online services are disconnected in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

Once you are done with the copy, you can change back over to your original file again.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Kristina - I just did all that - and, just as I was resending the problem report (because the display is still messed up, in the new copy) - I realized that the email address that I'm logged into Quicken as is NOT the same as the email I log into this community with. Can I PM that email address to you, somehow? I'm assuming that's how you looked for my previous problem report…

I will send a DM to you, that way you will be able to reply with the Quicken ID.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.