Purchase Desktop Version

Heles
Heles Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Before you Buy

How do I get the desktop version of Quicken? I do not want the subscription version.

Answers

• fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭

The desktop version is by subscription only

Quicken has changed its service to a subscription model, meaning that you can't just buy the software anymore. Instead, you'll pay an annual fee to keep accessing the program.

• Heles
    Heles Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

[Removed - Rant/No Soliciting]

• Hello @Heles,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. The subscription pays for continuing support of the product, that said, those who do not want to resubscribe do not have to. When you purchase Quicken Deluxe, Premier, or Home and Business, they do come with a Data Access Guarantee. That guarantee does mean you are still able to access and edit your file manually after the subscription expires. Once the subscription expires, you do lose all online functionality, so Quicken on the Web and the Mobile app would no longer be accessible. You would also be unable to import .QFX files since those do use some online functionality to verify the file prior to import. Also, after the subscription expires, there are large banners reminding you to resubscribe; those banners do not go away.

Please note that the Starter version of Quicken does not come with the data access guarantee and goes to Read Only when the subscription expires.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

and if they didn't pillage the user base - how would they pay for ….. staff, downloading quotes, downloading from banks, from brokerages, etc - vs the "buy once and never again" model of businesses that are gone…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Heles That's extortion. I hate subscritption 'models'. Their only purpose is to pillage the user base for as much money as possible.

No one loves software subscriptions, because they're almost always more expensive over time than the buy-and-pay-to-upgrade pricing models of the past. But much of the software industry has switched to subscriptions, from Microsoft to Adobe. And it's not to "extort" and "pillage" their users; it's to provide to companies with stable income flow so they can continue to modernize, update, and build enhancements to their software, and in Quicken's case, to keep up with ever-changing financial industry connectivity and security standards.

So it's all about the value proposition: if Quicken is useful enough to you to be worth about $5/month, you pay for an ongoing subscription; if you decide it's not, then you move on to something else. There are free personal finance programs out there, but the question is whether they meet your needs.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Heles
    Heles Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

They'd survive just like they did for the DECADES [Removed - Rant]

• Heles
    Heles Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Quicken and other companies survived just fine for many DECADES before the infliction of 'subscriptions'. There is no evidence they will provide a better product or service just because they unilaterally decided to regularize their cash flow."

• Heles
    Heles Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Is Quicken on the desktop still able to access the data files (on the local hard drive) and manipulate/ update them after the subscription expires?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023

If you paid for a year of Deluxe (or better) you can continue to update your data manually after the subscription ends. "Manually" means completely manually, including stock & mutual fund prices. You also won't be able to use the Quicken app on your phone or the Quicken web app because Mobile Sync will stop working. A significant portion of the Quicken window will be taken up with a reminder that your sub ran out & asking you to renew.

The Starter version of Quicken becomes read-only when your subscription ends. You can still look at your data but not make any changes.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• vnolin12
    vnolin12 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

I have been using Quicken for over 30 years. I believe Quicken is the most complete financial software available. It can require a fair amount of time on the users part to stay up to date and maintain your accounts.

[Removed - 3rd-Party Software]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Did they? Then why did Microsoft quit making MS Money, and why did Intuit sell off Quicken?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Heles said: There is no evidence they will provide a better product or service just because they unilaterally decided to regularize their cash flow.

The "evidence" is whatever you make of the past five and half years since they made the change to subscription pricing. For me as a Quicken Mac user, I'm happy the program has continued to have many features added and improved over that time, although not as quickly as I'd like. I understand the valuation may be different for Quicken Windows users, who have a more mature product than the rebuilt Quicken Mac. Still, both platofrms have had to deal with evolving operating systems and many changes in bank connectivity protocols.

We don't know what Quicken's subscription numbers are; they're a privately-held company and don't report their sales, profits, or subscription rates. The CEO has said in a few interviews that they are doing better than when they were part of Intui, but we have no way of objectively knowing how many users have stuck with Quicken and how many have moved on.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what we think of subscription pricing as a methodology for software sales and support, because that's what Quicken chose years ago. All that matters for any of us is whether we feel we get enough value from Quicken to justify the price or not. Many find ~$5/month not to be unreasonable; some think it's too much compared to what they were used to from prior decades, and have moved on. We all use Quicken differently, so we come to different answers for our personal needs.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.