Why does credit card PAYMENT post as a CHARGE?

ranamaska
ranamaska Member ✭✭
Since recent Quicken update, all the payments to one of three credit card accounts are posting as CHARGES instead of positive payments. I am manually changing them at this time.
Version 7.0.0 (Build 700.48698.100)Mac OS 13.3

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

The most likely cause of this is there's an incorrect or extra transaction somewhere that's making the card balance positive instead of negative. That makes it look like the payments are increasing the balance instead of decreasing it. Scroll back in the register & see if you can spot an unreconciled transaction. It might be all the way back at the very beginning.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    If starting from a zero balance, one charge correctly posts. Then a payment for that charge is made. That payment shows as a second charge not a credit.
  • Jon

How are these payments getting into the credit card register? Are they downloaded transactions, or scheduled transactions, or Bill Pay bills? (I assume you're not entering them manually.)

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    downloaded - only one of four credit card accounts has this problem.
  • Jon
    edited April 2023

What's the connection method for that account - Quicken Connect or Direct Connect?

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    direct connect - the others are quicken connect -- what changed since Quicken update?
  • Jon
    edited April 2023

Right-click on one of the payments and select "Show Inspector". The bottom part of the inspector window will show the data received from the bank. Is the Statement Amount a positive or negative number? A payment should be positive.

I don't think any of the changes in 7.0 should have affected this.

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    It shows a negative number!
  • Jon

OK, then the problem is with your bank sending you bad data.

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    Got it! I will contact them for a correction.
    Thanks!
  • ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    I see a date that the problem began. There is three manual transaction in the register. They did not download normally. Could that be the problem? The balance from that point on is correct. Is there a way to attempt to download these three and delete the manual write-ins? All during March.
  • Jon
    edited April 2023

Quicken remembers which transactions have been downloaded & won't add them to the register again.

You could try disconnecting the current account, creating a new account & connecting that to the bank & see what you get. If the downloaded transactions are correct you can drag any old transactions that didn't download from the old account to the new account & then delete the old account. You should make a backup copy of your Quicken file before doing this, just in case.

• ranamaska
    ranamaska Member ✭✭
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.