Categories Missing

Backed up Quicken 2 weeks ago before I left for vacation. Upon return, updated all accounts. Some, but not all, categories (and sub-categories) are now gone…completely missing.

Tried to enter transactions manually, and added what I know is a current category (and sub-category(Quicken will even auto-populate it), but then Quicken refuses to add it. Instead, NEW CATEGORY pops up; If I try and re-add the category, Quicken then says "You cannot assign this category to this category group".

If I got to my CATEGORY LIST, the missing categories/subcategories ARE there. But Quicken will not let me choose them when adding a transaction.

Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Category List, is the Hidden box checked next to the missing Categories? That will hide them in selection lists.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Check your Category List(*) to see if there is/are one or more accounts or categories named something like ACCT_xxxx (where xxxx is a 3 - 5 digit decimal or hexadecimal number).
    Also check to see if there is a real category name appearing more than once. (Duplicate category names are forbidden, but a recent bug may have created a duplicate by mistake)
    If there is, this will mess up Category Selection Lists in your register. Delete this entry from the Category List and see if that restores the selection list in the register to working order.

(*) Make sure the Category List is set to "Show Full List" and "[x] Show hidden categories" and sorted by category.

• "Show Hidden Categories" is already checked

"Show Full List" is already checked

There are no categories anything like: ACCT_xxxx (where xxxx is a 3 - 5 digit decimal or hexadecimal number).

There are no category names appearing more than once

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:
    • Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Mondo Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Validate and Supervalidate your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

This discussion has been closed.