Autocategorize transaction WITHOUT renaming payee

I have searched the forums and haven't found a precise answer so I apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere...

I receive a large number of Zelle payments. Quicken categorizes them as a transfer within the account they are downloaded from.

What I want to do is: "For any payee containing Zelle>change category to Rental Income."

I DO NOT WANT to rename the payee because that field also contains the name of the person making the payment. I need to keep that. I just want the category set by the word Zelle appearing in the Payee field.

Is it possible to do this? Or do I need to keep manually changing the category after downloading?

TIA

Don

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

No this isn't possible. The renaming rules and memorized payees work hand in hand. Quicken matches the downloaded payee to a memorized payee and uses that payee entry to fill in the category. The payee in the transaction and the memorized payees have to match exactly, except for case. That is the main reason for the renaming rules, to "normalized" the downloaded payee name so that it will match a memorized payee.

What you would have to do is use a renaming rule for the person, and have a memorized payee for that name that has the category you want.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

No this isn't possible. The renaming rules and memorized payees work hand in hand. Quicken matches the downloaded payee to a memorized payee and uses that payee entry to fill in the category. The payee in the transaction and the memorized payees have to match exactly, except for case. That is the main reason for the renaming rules, to "normalized" the downloaded payee name so that it will match a memorized payee.

What you would have to do is use a renaming rule for the person, and have a memorized payee for that name that has the category you want.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Thanks Chris. I was afraid that would be the case.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How about you try this?
    Record the Rent Payment transaction using the Rent Center. This posts a properly named and categorized transaction into your Checking account.
    When a download comes in with a Zelle deposit from one of your renters just match the already existing rent transaction to the downloaded Zelle transaction. No renaming or recategorizing necessary.