How do I add Social Security Gross category to my budget income section

I have a SSA Gross category in my list. and use it in my split list for my monthly deposit. In my budget, Quicken will not show that category when I open manage my categories. It includes other SSA categories I have (like Net), but not Gross. Please tell me why this is the case, and how to get around it.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

When you open manage budget categories, have you gone to the Lower left options button and chosen assign categories?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please use the actual names of the things you are clicking on. If you go to Tools .> Category List and look up your SSA Gross category, is the Type Income? If not, edit the Category to fix this. Is the Hidden box checked? If so, un-check it.What is its Group?

Then go to the Planning > Budgets page, click on Manage Budget Categories, and find the appropriate Group. Is it still not there?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

When you open manage budget categories, have you gone to the Lower left options button and chosen assign categories?

• The category is in my Category List as SSA Gross, the type is Income, and the Hidden Box is not checked.

In Planning > Budget Categories, under Group Income, it does not appear.

SSA Net is listed in the same manner as SSA Gross. It does appear in Planning > Budget Categories.

Maddening!
  • Bob L's question enabled me to fix the problem. Thank you! Here's where I was going wrong: When I originally created this category almost 20 years ago, I appear to have put it in a "custom" Group. Looking into the "Options" drop down in the Manage Budget Categories led me to discover several custom categories that I had not recognized as such before. Assigning SSA Gross to be tracked then solved the problem.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, not clear to me how you are using both a gross SSA category and a net one.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Both SSA gross and SSA net should not be budgeted. If SSA net is budgeted, then do not budget for Medicare premiums and SSA income tax deductions. If SSA gross is budgeted, then Medicare premiums and SSA income tax deductions should also be budgeted.

I use the SSA gross option, not just for budgeting purposes but also for accuracy in the Tax Reports and Tax Planner.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.