Can't connect/download from Bank of the West (US)

ChuckM79
ChuckM79 Member ✭✭
I can't connect or download from Bank of the West in the USA into Quicken for Windows. I've tried a dozen times today and it was working last week.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @ChuckM79,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will need some additional information in order to better assist you further.

Could you please elaborate and provide further details as to what exactly is happening when you attempt to connect? Are you receiving any specific error code(s) and/or message(s) that you can provide us with here, please?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ChuckM79
    ChuckM79 Member ✭✭
    I get a few different errors.
    - Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault).
    - Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection OL-297-Af

Also, One Step update for other banks works perfectly and this used to work for Bank of the West last month also. What should I try next?
  • ChuckM79
    ChuckM79 Member ✭✭
    I have tried both Direct Connect and Express Web Connect. Both fail.
  • Thank you for your reply,

The errors you are describing usually come up if the financial institution server is temporarily unavailable (such as down for maintenance) or if something is interfering with the connection. Do you have a VPN, firewall, or anti-virus active? If so, you may want to test by temporarily disabling it to see if Quicken is able to update with the financial institution when it is off.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• NoBoB
    NoBoB Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue as @ChuckM79 with Bank of the West (and *just* BOTW; all other FI's work fine). I removed the online setup. When I try to re-establish it, I get the 'unable to establish an internet connection OL-297' error like Chuck did above. If I say 'OK' anyway, it goes through the one-time code process, which I receive. So there's some type of contact being made. After I enter the code it errors out (and is kind enough to tell me it's not my fault, again same as Chuck).
  • kenlevy
    kenlevy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

I too have experienced this problem. After multiple calls to Bank of the West and Quicken support, I was told by BotW that I was on a back-level release of Quicken. I ran a <Help> <Check for Updates> and it reports I am on the latest release of Quicken (R48.18). BotW told me I needed to be on R49.22. After contacting Quicken Support about this disparity, they told me that R49.22 was available to select groups. As I have worked in IT for over 40 years, I recognize this as a "staged rollout" of a new release. I did a quick search of Quicken support boards there were many, many reported errors for this new release, mostly calling out broken downloads from many different financial institutions. At this point, I am reluctant to de-install my current R48.18 release where I am getting clean downloads from the 7 other financial institutions, since just BotW is failing. Quicken, are you listening??? [Edited - Readability] I realize you are trying to rollout the new release and are having massive problems with online updates from financial institutions, but I've done 3 calls to BotW support and 3 calls to Quicken support (and spent 6 hours on the phone) and am no closer to a resolution of this problem which has been going on since approx April 11, 2023. When can I expect a resolution to this problem and why hasn't it been acknowledged and posted to the message boards here??

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-6662)

Quicken Kristina

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, can you please try connecting again and letting me know if you are not able to connect? Thanks!

Quicken Janean

• kenlevy
    kenlevy Member ✭✭

After having removed online access to try to resolve this problem, I tried again this morning to activate one-set-updates. (05/17/2023 3:40 am CDT)

I still get a message OL-297-A "Quicken is unable to establish an Internet connection." during activation. I do have access to the Internet and have successfully done updates via one-step to nine other financial institutions. WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED???

• kenlevy
    kenlevy Member ✭✭

Additional info for last post . . . After clearing the OL-297-A message box, it appears that Quicken continues to try to connect. It posts a message asking how I want to receive an authorization code (2 factor auth) and I select request be texted to my cell phone. The fact that the selections listed included info that the bank has about my account tells me that the bank is being accessed. The connection attempt then fails with an "Oops, there is a connection problem" CC-502 message.

I have also tried to re-add the account via the "add account" method rather than enabling online access to the existing account. When I try to add with direct connect "advanced" method, it generates a "Sorry. We encountered and error. (It's not your fault.). I tried again to add via Express Web Connect method. I receive message about "requiring more info to connect" and select texting to my cell as one of the six offered options. That ends in the same "Oops" message (CC-502) detailed above.

There are six different Bank of the West entities listed (regional / business / consumer variants?). I am choosing just the "Bank of the West" with no modifiers. This matches with the definition I had back before these failures started in early April 2023.

Has Quicken approached Bank of the West to resolve these issues or have they just washed their hands and say its the banks problem?

I am getting tired of this run around and being bingoed and finger pointed between both Quicken support and Bank of the West. I've been using Quicken and doing online downloads since 1996 and have been doing the same with Bank of the West since 2007. I spend about 20 minutes every morning logging into the bank via its web based interface to review the transactions there and add them to my Quicken file. The hassle of not having an automated, one-step-update of all my financials is NOT why I pay Quicken's $83.88 annual license fee. I would really hate having to move to a different bank just to resolve this problem. If Quicken changes the interface protocols with its financial institution partners why can't they work with them to expeditiously correct the inevitable problems that escape detection during testing???

At this point, I am P-O'ed with both Quicken and Bank of the West.

• Quicken Janean
    edited May 2023

@kenlevy, I am sorry for the continued trouble. Can you please once again, submit logs by going to Help> Report a Problem? Please let me know once you have as I have shared your new feedback to the appropriate team and they will continue to look into this. Thanks!

Quicken Janean

• ChuckM79
    ChuckM79 Member ✭✭
    I'm the original poster. Every week I try to connect to Bank of the West (both with Direct Connect and Express Web Connect) and it fails. I have called Bank of the West and they don't really know what's going on. I have tried installing Quicken on a new/different laptop with new Quicken file, and the error is the same. What is Quicken support doing to escalate and resolve this issue? It's been over 1 month.
  • Quicken Janean

Hi @ChuckM79 , I am sorry for the continued issues you have had. We need specific information to escalate with Bank of the West. I will send you a private message.

Quicken Janean

• ChuckM79
    ChuckM79 Member ✭✭

Hi, I responded to your message. Any update on this issue?

• Cliff_7point62
    Cliff_7point62 Member ✭✭

I am also having no luck logging into my Bank of the West account to download updates. The error code I get is OL-393-A.

I haven't been able to connect for over 6 weeks and I need some help.

Cliff

• Cliff_7point62
    Cliff_7point62 Member ✭✭

I just tried to connect to Bank of the West, again. At the end of the download a message told me that it had failed. I believed the message and went on to reconcile the other account but I looked at my Bank of the West account. It had downloaded my transactions even though it said that it had failed.

Go figure.

Cliff

This discussion has been closed.