Income & Expense Report

BLD
BLD Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Reports (Windows)

Why is it that when a cash transfer is made from a bank account to a brokerage account Quicken displays this transaction as an expense in the I&E Report? It is really only a transfer of assets from one asset account to another. The same will happen in reverse, a transfer from a brokerage cash account to a bank account is displayed as income in the income and expense report.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

The Income and Expense reports default to excluding investing accounts and on the Advanced customization tab, the Transfer setting is "Exclude internal." This means the report will hide transfers between accounts that are included in the report - paying a credit card bill for example - but show transfers to and from other accounts.

If you don't want to show transfers to investing accounts as income and expenses, you should include the investing accounts in the report.

QWin Premier subscription
  • BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭

I am sorry I don't understand your reply. Where is the Advanced customization tab?

• Jim_Harman

Open the report then click on the gear at the top right to display the customization options. Click on the Advanced tab to see the Transfer options.

• BLD
    BLD Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I set it to "Exclude all". Now transfers to/from bank accounts/investment accounts do not show up as expense/income in the report which is the way it should be (IMHO).
    Thanks again.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2023

Leaving the investing accounts out of the report and setting the transfers to Exclude all will work unless you sometimes pay bills, make gifts, etc directly from investing accounts.

Also sometimes it is useful to think of distributions from retirement accounts or regular transfers from taxable accounts as income to cover living expenses. It all depends on what you want to get out of the report.

This discussion has been closed.