Quicken really slow

HenryF
HenryF Member

I am using the subscription Quicken on Windows. I created a new file which is only about 20 MB. The system is really really slow. After every key press there's a noticeable several second delay. Updating downloads is painful. Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks,

H

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

I've been having very slow response from Quicken for many (not all) functions, especially with opening data files, initializing and running OSU, switching between accounts and to a lesser degree when entering transactions for about a month.

Last night I decided to open Task Manager to see if there might be some app that was hogging memory and/or CPU resources. I didn't notice anything but when I got to the Startup Apps I noticed there were several apps enabled to start up when up my computer is booted. Two of them stood out because they have a high impact on startup: MS Edge and Zoom. I disabled them for startup and shut down the computer.

This morning my computer boot time was back to normal (<10 sec) instead of the more recent 15-20 sec. for the first time in a month. Granted, 5-10 seconds improvement is not huge for most people but I have a SSD and it is usually very fast so 30%-50% improvement in boot time was pretty nice to see.

Then I opened Quicken and found that it opened quickly, other data files opened quickly, OSU initialization and run times were back to normal, no more white/black screens and no more slow data entry. It's been working for me like this all day long. Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow will be just as good.

It might be a long shot but you might want to take a look at your Startup Apps and disable everything that is not absolutely necessary. For instance, MS Edge and Zoom are not apps that I use every day so I disabled them. Anti-virus software, however, is necessary so I kept that enabled. When done, reboot your computer and see if Quicken's responsiveness has improved.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

I've been having very slow response from Quicken for many (not all) functions, especially with opening data files, initializing and running OSU, switching between accounts and to a lesser degree when entering transactions for about a month.

Last night I decided to open Task Manager to see if there might be some app that was hogging memory and/or CPU resources. I didn't notice anything but when I got to the Startup Apps I noticed there were several apps enabled to start up when up my computer is booted. Two of them stood out because they have a high impact on startup: MS Edge and Zoom. I disabled them for startup and shut down the computer.

This morning my computer boot time was back to normal (<10 sec) instead of the more recent 15-20 sec. for the first time in a month. Granted, 5-10 seconds improvement is not huge for most people but I have a SSD and it is usually very fast so 30%-50% improvement in boot time was pretty nice to see.

Then I opened Quicken and found that it opened quickly, other data files opened quickly, OSU initialization and run times were back to normal, no more white/black screens and no more slow data entry. It's been working for me like this all day long. Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow will be just as good.

It might be a long shot but you might want to take a look at your Startup Apps and disable everything that is not absolutely necessary. For instance, MS Edge and Zoom are not apps that I use every day so I disabled them. Anti-virus software, however, is necessary so I kept that enabled. When done, reboot your computer and see if Quicken's responsiveness has improved.

• HenryF
    HenryF Member

Thanks. I killed some unneeded processes and that seems to have sped it up. I'll keep monitoring.

• Boatnmaniac

I'm glad to hear it seems to have helped some. And thanks for posting your update here. That is helpful.

This discussion has been closed.