Having problems with accounts that update with EWC+ (Schwab and PNC)

mvpetters
mvpetters Member ✭✭

Can I change the method of updating to direct connect? I don't see how that's possible. If it means deactivating or deleting, I am concerned about duplicate accounts and/or losing years of history.

Tagged:

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@mvpetters - Schwab no longer supports DC for investment accounts. It now only supports Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) and Web Connect (WC…manual downloading and importing in QFX or Quicken or Web Connect format from the website). The FIDIR list (Financial Institutions Directory list) shows that for some types of accounts it still supports DC, EWC and WC so if you are talking about something other than a brokerage investment account let me know what that is so it can explored that further.

Otherwise, please provide some details about what issue(s) you are experiencing with downloads from Schwab so some assistance can perhaps be provided.

PNC does support DC. For personal accounts PNC does not have a monthly fee but for business accounts there is a small monthly fee ($2-$3).

You should know that last week it was announced that PNC will be changing their EWC connection to EWC+ within the next 30-60 days. It is not yet known if or by when they will also changing their DC connection to EWC+ but I think it is safe to say that at some point PNC support for DC will also be dropped for EWC+. You can read more about this at:

If this convinces you to not upgrade your connection to DC, then perhaps you can provide some details of the issue(s) you are encountering with PNC's EWC connection so perhaps some assistance can be provided.

If, however, you still wish to proceed with DC for PNC, let me know and I'll provide you a step-by-step process for how to do that. Just know that you might not be able to use DC for more than just a couple of months before you will need to change your connection, again, to EWC+.

Did this answer your questions?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mvpetters
    mvpetters Member ✭✭
    The problems I'm having all started last Fri, April 28. Ordinarily I do a one-step update every day markets are open but I was out of country for 2 weeks. When doing the update last Friday, I received messages in the one step update summary that it appeared that accounts at both PNC and Schwab had been deleted. They were not. I tried following the instructions to add them back (I took the reset account). Maybe I should have deactivated and added back but was concerned about losing transactions. It seemed that I had gotten them "reset" but that was when I noticed weird stuff - in the listing of accounts, an old Bank of America account shows PNC as the financial institution!!! A Schwab bank checking account is missing all April transactions but the balance is correct. How can that be? Seems there is a lot of corruption. Should I try to restore another backup?

On your comment about going back to DC for PNC, I guess that would be a temporary fix as you describe it, so I don't see much point.

I just tried doing a one-step update again and looks like I'm back to the same situation as last Friday for PNC. For my Schwab accounts, it says Quicken server error. Don't think I believe that. I've attached a screenshot of the one-step update summary.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2023

Yes, I agree that switching PNC to DC just does not seem to make much sense at this point.

Yes, I think restoring a recent backup file would be the first step I would take. Let me know how it goes.

Also, which version of Quicken are you running? (Help > About Quicken)

• mvpetters
    mvpetters Member ✭✭
    I'm pretty much fixed except that there are 2 Schwab accounts that Quicken can't find. I don't really care about those 2 - rare activity (one savings account and another Roth IRA that I just have a pittance of cash in (long story). Basically, I deactivated all the accounts that were causing problems and then added them.
  • mvpetters
    mvpetters Member ✭✭
    PS - thank you!
  • Boatnmaniac

You are welcome. I'm glad most everything is working for you now. I don't know much about Schwab so perhaps someone who has more expertise with Schwab will add a suggestion here.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

yes - the DELETED error for EWC+ accounts is frustrating - along with the account getting the "red circle slash" icon.

Just treat it as a new RE-authorization request - and walk thru those same steps, either way you want…
    I just got hit with one of my Chase accounts - did the RE-auth - and all is good - but frustrating

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.