Add Keyboard Shortcut to Show/Hide Sidebar (Q Mac)

Options
bfrank
bfrank Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI

This would be especially helpful when running Quicken on a laptop where screen space is limited.

4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2023
    Options

@bfrank I agree this would be useful.

That said, this is something you can easily set up for yourself.  the key is that in addition to the little icon at the top of the sidebar, there are also menu commands: on the View menu, there is a Hide Sidebar command, which changes to Show Sidebar when the sidebar is hidden. And in macOS, you can create a keyboard shortcut in any program for anything which appears in a menu!

• Open your Mac's System Preferences
    • Click on Keyboard
    • Click on Shortcuts
    • Click on App Shortcuts
    • Click the + icon  to create a new shortcut
    • In the pop-up window, select Application: Quicken (not the default All Applications)
    • For Menu Title, type Hide Sidebar
    • Define what key combination you want for this shortcut (such as Control-Option-S, or whatever you want)
    • Repeat the last four steps to create a second shortcut for Show Sidebar (you can use the same keystroke)

In Quicken, pull down the View menu and you'll see your new keyboard command appears next to Hide Sidebar. Click your shortcut to see the sidebar hide, and click it again to make your sidebar show.

Mission accomplished! 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Lion55
    Lion55 Member ✭✭
    Options

Good suggestion. One comment.

Check existing quicken keyboard shortcut list at the help.quicken.com web site first. As of May, 2023, Command+Option+S is used to show splits. However, both Command+Control+S and Command+S appear to be free in Quicken for Mac. Since Command+S is File-Save in other Mac programs, may want to use the other key combination just to be safe.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2023
    Options

[Duplicate post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • fchatfield
    fchatfield Member ✭✭
    Options

This worked perfectly! I didn't know about this and it accomplished exactly what I was hoping to do.

Thank you so much @bfrank!