Corrupt Account

I have 7 different investment accounts under one broker all of which stopped updating several weeks ago. (All accounts with my bank continue to update without issue.) After trouble shooting with backup data I have concluded that one of the investment accounts is corrupt. One account would not deactivate and then on a backup version I deleted it which allowed the other 6 accounts to update successfully.

So what is the best course of action from here? I really don't want to delete the account and loose 20 years of data but don't know how to figure out and eliminate the bad data causing it, along with the 6 other accounts, not to update. Any recommendations are welcome!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @paula.michele,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. Which financial institution are you experiencing this with? What is the connection method with said financial institution? You can see the connection method by navigating to Tools > Account List. Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Why are you unable to deactivate the particular account?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    Hello Jasmine and thank you for the response. The financial institution is Investor 360 which connects via Direct Connect. My bank, USAA connects via Express Web Connect+. there are no error codes or messages. During the download process Investor 360 status display goes immediately to "complete". It does not display "processing data" or "updating transactions" like I see for the bank.

My statement about deactivation is in error. I did successfully deactivate then reactivate; it is the Reset that had an issue. I receive error message displaying "Account Reset Failed".
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned you were able to delete the problem account in the restored backup. Are you able to deactivate the account rather than delete it completely? If you're able to deactivate it, then you would be able to keep it for historical information and get current information by re-adding the account to your Quicken, but adding it as a new account rather than linking to the existing.

Alternatively, if you haven't already tried, you can see if backing up the file and running Validate/Super Validate on the restored backup can get the problem account to work properly. If you want to try that, follow these steps:

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much Kristina! This was very helpful direction and I feel so much better about the situation. I have deactivated the corrupt account and created a new account. The new account along with the other 5 are all downloading successfully.

For the corrupt account I now want to continue to have access to the transactions along with its transfers to my checking account but do not want the account to display or it's value to roll up in the account list bar. How do you suggest I best set up the display options for this account?
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your response,

If you don't want that account to display or count in your net worth, but still want it for historical purposes, I would recommend hiding and separating the account. You can do that by going to Tools>Account List, clicking the Edit button next to that account, click the Display Options tab, then select the appropriate checkboxes and click the OK button when done.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    thank you Kristina. this is the section that confuses me a bit. What is the advantage/disadvantage to checking the "Keep account Separate..." vs Closing the account. I may want to use it in a report in which case it seems maybe Closing it makes sense?
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your response,

You can choose to do either; whichever meets your needs the best.

Separating an account keeps it from showing up in Net Worth and keeps it from showing up in reports unless you customize the report to include separate accounts.

Closing the account will disconnect it (if the account isn't already disconnected), set the balance to 0, and hide the account in some screens.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    appreciate the direction Kristina.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

You can actually move the transactions from the old account to the new account. Right click on a transaction in the old account. It will bring up a window that allows selecting multiple transactions. Before moving, if any transactions to be moved have a Status of Reconciled, change them to Cleared so that you don't get prompted to approve each transaction for a move. The new account will have downloaded many recent transactions so they will not have to be moved.

Once you have the new account set up and your balances look good, you can delete the old, corrupted account.

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    I will give that a go Markus! Appreciate the added tip and all makes perfect sense. Just one thing...can you move multiple transactions at once? I have about 20 years of data with the account. ;/
  • paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    I should add, using the shift key does not help me to select multiple transaction. I can only grab one at a time.
  • markus1957

Yes, the window that pops up for Move allows selection of multiple transactions. Start with a few dozen to see how long it takes per group. Then move to bigger chunks.

• markus1957

Right click in the investment account you want to move from. You will see Move transactions, left click and a window will pop up.

• paula.michele
    paula.michele Member ✭✭
    Got it! Thank you for the huge help Markus :)
This discussion has been closed.