Hanging/freezing when Updating Quicken

Options
System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken freezes during One Step Update.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@toekneesee - Which version are you using? You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.

I am assuming your installation is trying to update the Quicken version. Have you tried manually downloading and installing the Mondo Patch, instead?

The current version Mondo Patch (now called the US Manual Patch Update) can be downloaded from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product . I usually update my Quicken with this patch instead of letting Quicken itself automatically do the update. IMO, manually downloading and installing the patch file tends to be more reliable and trouble-free when doing version updates.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• toekneesee
    toekneesee Member
    Options

This is the third day in a row that this has happened. I open Quicken, it did its one-step update procedure, gets to the point where it says, "Executing files and cleaning up," or whatever, and then just sits there. After about five minutes, it gives me an error message. What I do is reopen Quicken and cancel the update. That's the only way I can get into the program.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @toekneesee,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert if you would like to be notified of updates (when available) and know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket #10162042/CTP-6693)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@toekneesee - Which version are you using? You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.

I am assuming your installation is trying to update the Quicken version. Have you tried manually downloading and installing the Mondo Patch, instead?

The current version Mondo Patch (now called the US Manual Patch Update) can be downloaded from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product . I usually update my Quicken with this patch instead of letting Quicken itself automatically do the update. IMO, manually downloading and installing the patch file tends to be more reliable and trouble-free when doing version updates.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• toekneesee
    toekneesee Member
    Options

Manually downloading and executing the patch worked! Thank you.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There used to be quite a few of these errors several years ago.
    Here are my old notes regarding this issue:

In case of Patch installation error "Server file failed to load … Index and length …"
    please follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load
    If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are located in a folder named, for example,
    "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John".
    Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.
    If the user name is not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.
    At your next migration to a new Windows version I recommend changing the username to remove the blank space. It appears to be a holdover from old Windows versions using the obsolete "Documents and Settings" folder structure.

This discussion has been closed.