Renewal cost versus New User cost

Richard Starrett
Richard Starrett Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Before you Buy

I can go to Walmart or the Quicken web site and buy Premier for $50, a one year subscription. Renewing my current Premier subscription is $83. I have been a Premier user for many years. That seems unfair. Renewal at a reduced rate for a longer term would be more palatable.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

It's been like this for a long time — and it's not just Quicken. Many companies offer teaser or discounted rates to bring in new customers; I can't think of many instances where existing customers get a bargain rate but new customers are assessed a higher rate.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just make sure that the product at Walmart is not for "new users". It will not work with a Quicken Id that has had a subscription registered against it at any time in the past. It requires a newly created Quicken Id to be valid.

This is not just a Walmart deal, "new user" packages are available at a lot of retail sources.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are patient you will be able to eventually find special reduced subscriptions for current users both at Quicken.com and at retailers (most commonly found at retailers). In fact, both Walmart and Office Depot currently do have Quicken Premier on sale for have current Premier on sale for $50…and it looks like their offers are good for existing users.

If you do buy from them, make sure to read the fine print to confirm that their offers are not for new users only. If you buy from a retailer, all you need to do is enter the activation code that comes with those retail products when you renew your subscription. Then you'll be good for another year.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2023

@Boatnmaniac said: You will be able to eventually find special reduced subscriptions for current users both at Quicken.com and at retailers…

That's definitely true for retail stores, but I don't think it's true for direct sales from Quicken.com. Even if you see an offer from Quicken that looks like a good deal, once you log in with your Quicken ID to make the purchase, the price jumps up to the regular full price for existing subscribers; I believe Quicken only offers discounted pricing for new users on its website.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac

I have not really looked at the prices that are offered on Quicken.com very often so I can't vouch for that. My comment was based upon posts I'd seen by others saying that Quicken.com does occasionally offer discounts to current subscribers. Thanks for mentioning that this might not be accurate.

Bottom line is that no matter which source is being considered, always make sure to understand what restrictions there might be regarding the advertised pricing.

• rjt21
    rjt21 Member

This is such an affront to legacy Quicken users (me since 1992) that it disgusts me. I begrudgingly have to pay this egregious fee annually; now $83/yr for Premier. I don't use their bundled payment services ever. Why a boxed product, even if it's a code, is less than a couple mouse clicks is insane. Quicken should offer discounts to loyal customers.

• Boatnmaniac

Like with any business, customers are only valued, no matter how long they have been customers, when they continue to buy the product or service.

This discussion has been closed.