Bank of America Checking Account Not Reconciling (Again!) - Online Balance vs Pending

axman53
axman53 Member ✭✭

This seems to be a fairly regular issue with BoA. I'm posting here to see if others are seeing this again or is it just me? This account has not reconciled starting last Friday or so.

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, a screenshot showing the pending transactions on the financial institution website, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. Please also include in the description the name of each affected account along with the dates of the pending transactions in each affected account.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.   

(CTP-6922)

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Morpheus
    Morpheus Member ✭✭

yes been going on for a week now and no fix.

• rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭

Yes same problem here; showing an online balance that includes pending transactions. Unable to reconcile against the online balance.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited June 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to share the iss that you are experiencing.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation. We also have a few questions (seen below) that would be helpful in assisting our investigation if you could answer them (if you are uncomfortable sharing the answers in this thread, you are welcome to add them to the description box located in the same area when you are submitting logs).

Account Type:
    Account Name:
    Actual Online Balance:
    Online Balance w/ Pending Transaction:

Please let me know once you have done these things.

(CTP-6922)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• sandy.wood
    sandy.wood Member ✭✭
    Today I noticed that my reconciliation was off after downloading the latest transactions from Bank of America. Further checking revealed that it was off by the exact amount that was still Processing at the bank. I may be off but I always thought Quicken would only reconcile against downloaded transactions and the balance showed up until then. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
  • rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭

Report a problem submitted.

• rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭

As for your questions this does seem to be affecting only one of my BoA Adv Plus checking account. I have two.

I won't put exact numbers but let's say the online reconciled balance is around $500 than the online balance with Pending transactions. I included the screen shot from Quicken.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @rydogg1,

Thank you for providing more information to further assist us in our investigation!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• axman53
    axman53 Member ✭✭
    > @axman53 said:
    > This seems to be a fairly regular issue with BoA. I'm posting here to see if others are seeing this again or is it just me? This account has not reconciled starting last Friday or so.

So, today, with no pending transactions online, I updated the Quicken register and it reconciled. I suspect that as soon as I have pending transactions in the account again I'll see the reconciliation fail. Just wanted to give a quick update. Continuing to monitor this thread.
  • JohnGW9
    JohnGW9 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

The in process transactions have been [mess]ing up the balance for about a week. I've begun to just accept the adjustment and then delete the transaction. Issue only occurs with BofA after updates by either Quicken or BofA.

• axman53
    axman53 Member ✭✭
    > @axman53 said:
    > > @axman53 said:
    > > This seems to be a fairly regular issue with BoA. I'm posting here to see if others are seeing this again or is it just me? This account has not reconciled starting last Friday or so.
    >
    > So, today, with no pending transactions online, I updated the Quicken register and it reconciled. I suspect that as soon as I have pending transactions in the account again I'll see the reconciliation fail. Just wanted to give a quick update. Continuing to monitor this thread.

And today, with in process transactions again, reconciliation is off by the amount of the in process transactions. So frustrating, especially since this is not a new issue.
  • Mike12
    Mike12 Member ✭✭
    This is happening to me also!
  • sandy.wood
    sandy.wood Member ✭✭
    I tried Help > Report a Problem several times but cannot get it to send.
  • rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭
    No updates here from Quicken?
  • sandy.wood
    sandy.wood Member ✭✭
    I just got off a support chat and explained my problem of reconciliation with Bank of America and the issue of current bank balance and processing claims. They said they didn't have any alerts on that issue, except with Chase, and that they didn't have a way to escalate the issue. I mentioned that there are all sorts of folks out on the community who are having the same issue but they were no help.

Has anyone gotten any new word on their issue?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

This is not a Quicken problem.

This is not a B of A problem.

This is user error.

Stop trying to reconcile daily to online balances. This is not the proper way to reconcile.

Reconcile monthly against B of A's monthly statement. You will find it to be much less work and aggravation and it works perfectly every month.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• axman53
    axman53 Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > This is user error.
    > Stop trying to reconcile daily to online balances. This is not the proper way to reconcile.
    > Reconcile monthly against B of A's monthly statement. You will find it to be much less work and aggravation and it works perfectly every month.

Interesting... that's how I used to do it but it seemed much easier reconciling to online balances when it seemed to work every time without fail. I'll have to think about going back to the old tried and true method.
  • rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > This is not a Quicken problem.
    >
    > This is not a B of A problem.
    >
    > This is user error.
    >
    > Stop trying to reconcile daily to online balances. This is not the proper way to reconcile.
    >
    > Reconcile monthly against B of A's monthly statement. You will find it to be much less work and aggravation and it works perfectly every month.

Dude it's a feature of the software and the "proper way to reconcile," is old school. I like to know what's clearing my account daily for better budgeting.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude it's a feature of the software and the "proper way to reconcile," is old school. I like to know what's clearing my account daily for better budgeting.

@rydogg1 , reconciling doesn't add any information to your register. The information you seek is already there in the form of the "c"leared transactions. Changing the "c" to an "R" is a Quicken-side update and is not adding any information from the bank.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

You should be able to reconcile when ever you want to online balance.

That is not user error. It is a side effect of the switch to EWC+ and should be fixed if possible. BofA sends the balance and it sometimes includes some pending transaction. My work around is to click Finish Later and try the next day.

(I have not reconciled to a paper statement in 15 years)

• Troyhusker
    Troyhusker Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

I'm having the same issue with me having to "reconcile" BofA pending transactions in order for the Quicken download to match. I've seen in other posts that this is not just BofA. Chase customers are also facing the same issue. I hope Quicken gets this worked out soon.

[Merged Post]

• Irv Spalten
    Irv Spalten Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

I normally run Quicken after the Stock Market closes to capture the stock data. Yesterday however I ran it around 8PM. Much to my surprise, Q reported a significant difference between what Q saw in my Checking Account at BofA and the Bank's balance...

Almost $900 and that caught my attention. Checked to see if a check that size was written.. nope.

Went on-line to BofA... and the reason was clear. Bill Pay was processing, 3 payments... and those 3 did not appear in the checks that Q took down. My balance compared to what the bank showed before these 3 were in process. However, what Q saw as my balance was what the Bank had after it would have processed the 3 Bill Pays. It is my Available funds value... which makes sense if I were to try and write a check or make a withdrawal at an ATM I guess?

However, this messes up Q?

Is there a way to specify only checks/Bill pay completed, not in process?

[Edited-Readability]

[Merged Post]

• JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

This causes issues when reconciling as it will download cleared transactions and when reconciling with Pending Balance it always says update balance as there is a difference and then I have to manually delete the balance update as it is wrong. The way it used to work is that when reconsiling it would show the missing difference to cleared balance so you could reconcile properly. I have seen other posts that this is because Bank of America is sending the Pending balance but that causes the issue. I know quicken tried to implement a sync of Pending transactions but that causes issues as well as they are subject to change i.e waiting for tips etc. It would be nice if Quicken and Bank of America could coordinate that if you choose not to use pending transactions it would only sync cleared balance.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, a screenshot showing the pending transactions on the financial institution website, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation. Please also include in the description the name of each affected account along with the dates of the pending transactions in each affected account.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.   

(CTP-6922)

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

• axman53
    axman53 Member ✭✭
    > @miklk said:
    > You should be able to reconcile when ever you want to online balance.
    >
    > That is not user error. It is a side effect of the switch to EWC+ and should be fixed if possible. BofA sends the balance and it sometimes includes some pending transaction. My work around is to click Finish Later and try the next day.

Yes, this is what I have been doing. Every few days or so, with no "in process" transactions in the bank's system, my account reconciles just fine.
  • miklk

I have doubts that there is any way to fix this. Just a side effect of the Banks mandated switch from the very reliable old method of DirectConnect to the new EWC+ . Several banks including BofA include some pending at various times of the day in their online balance.

The result is that Quicken just receives the download that bank sends. If the bank sends a balance that the bank is including in it's online balance, there is no way for Quicken to figure that out.

The only solution is to click finish later and try on a later date.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI, user Greg Brown has found a pertinent clue in log files. Note you have to click on the blue date/time to link to the referenced comment. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• miklk

The fact that there is something in the SYNC log and since it was working better for a few versions seems to indicate it "may" be possible to fix the issue IF they coordinate with the FIS.

• alan3mo
    alan3mo Member
    edited June 2023

I'm having the same problem. I'm now doing what Patti G is doing - selected the cleared transactions in the registry and manually reconciling. Not ideal. Hopefully they will fix soon

BTW: I have the same issue with my USAA credit card for months. It will eventually auto-reconcile on Sunday even though there are still pending transactions (???)

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @alan3mo,

Thank you for joining the discussion. This issue has been forwarded to the proper channels. I would encourage you to contribute to the investigation by sending a Problem Report, which you can do by going to Help>Report a Problem and filling out the requested info. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

The USAA issue you mention is already a known issue. You can see the discussion on it by clicking this link.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• georgem7131
    georgem7131 Member
    edited June 2023

Same issue with Bank of America after update

[Merged Post]

This discussion has been closed.