Write Flush Failed

Fred Prager
Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭

I am constantly getting this message. By now my Quicken file is so corrupted it's barely usable. I am running Windows 11 on a 64 bit Lenovo laptop. Quicken ver. 49.33, Build 27.1.49.33. My Windows build version 22H2. Is there anyway to solve this issue or is it time to give up on this [Removed - Rant ] software?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When do you get that message?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    I usually get the message when I try to back up the current file after working on it. The only way to get out is to close Quicken and restart it but then I've lost all data up to that point.
  • Greg_the_Geek

What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive and the folder you using for backup? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah - what is the full path to your active Quicken QDF data file ?

next, what is the full path to the Destination disk/folder for your auto or manual backup that triggers the error message ?
    seems like it might be a remote cloud drive, or a local USB flash drive - ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    The back ups/copies are stored on an external hard drive. I could move them to the SSD on the laptop if you think that's part of the issue.
  • Greg_the_Geek

Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive?

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    E:\From Lenovo\Documents\FInancial\Quicken Back-ups\BACKUP\2023\FLP 2022-07-10-2023-05-27.QDF-backup
  • Greg_the_Geek

That's the path to your backup folder, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive?

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    I'm way more than a little confused. Am I looking for a DAT file. There are no Quicken files on my laptop hard drive. Everything is on the external drive. Is this what you are asking for?
  • Greg_the_Geek

No, Quicken data files have an extension of .QDF. From Quicken, you can use File —> Show this file on my computer or File —> Find Quicken files…

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    Here it is, I think. It is not on the laptop hard drive but on the external Passport.
  • Greg_the_Geek

I would suggest moving your active Quicken data file to the laptop hard drive and trying a backup.

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    Ok. I figured that's where this was going. Will let you know what happens, or doesn't happen!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

don't knoow what your overall backup folders look like -
    but Quicken has two different backup features - controlled by - Preferences —> Backup —>
    the Auto-Backup …. created after so many X uses of Quicken
    the Manual Backup … prompted by Quicken after X uses of Quicken

The filenames created have a datestamp - AND you also have the option to include a timestamp in the filename…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW - wonder why you have named your Quicken data file - "FLP 2022-07-10" ?
    This would imply you either started or created a new copy on 7/10/22 - ?
    My Quicken QDF file is just called XXX and it was created years ago, and has ALL my data from day one -

E:\From Lenovo\Documents\FInancial\Quicken Back-ups\BACKUP\2023\FLP 2022-07-10-2023-05-27.QDF-backup

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    Okay. I'm not a super user but know my way around. ALl these directories and the like are all over the place since I bought this laptop a year ago. So, exactly which file do I need to move to my hard drive, where do I put it and how do I create it. As to the file name I have no idea where that came from, probably from a year end operation way back when.
  • Greg_the_Geek

I'm very confused since your screenshots show 2 different QDF files.

And

Whichever is your current Quicken data file, I would suggest copying it to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken unless you have OneDrive enabled. Otherwise, I would copy it to C:\Users\<Username>\Quicken. Once copied, you can double-click on the file to open it in Quicken which will then remember the location.

• Fred Prager
    Fred Prager Member ✭✭✭
    This what I believe is my current file. DO I copy all three to my Google Drive or just the DAT file. Sorry to be such a pain but I think I understand what to do. Just hope it works after all this! Thanks for putting up with me.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

we all use Quicken in different ways - and move things around in different ways.

I would suggest a couple of things…
    1 - turn on the Windows display of File Extensions…. so you can see the file format of all your files -
    —> display any Windows folder with Windows Explorer —> View —> on the right side [x] File name Extensions -
    you might also do [x] display Hidden items

2 - Next, create a normal Quicken default folder structure on the C drive - as per when Quicken gets installed….
    C:\Users\(Owner or User name)\Documents\Quicken\

3 - After you have a normal structure, and everything is where it should be - don't continue with the "year end copy" task…. makes no sense - it is better to have all your data in one place - and you can create Reports for any timeframe as needed.

4 - Make sure your Quicken Preferences are performing Auto-Backups to your C drive and that those folders are NOT being auto grabbed by any cloud service. You should also setup the Manual Backups - and use either the local C drive as an extra backup - or manually point to your external drives.

5 - After all is done with Quicken - you can manually copy as much or as little of the entire Quicken data folders to an external drive or a cloud service - I happen to copy onto two external 2TB drives - and alternate each month.

Lastly - after you set everything up - don't mess with the strategy or naming.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.