ERROR - "Unable to download currency rates - try again later"

Organone
Organone Member ✭✭
Anyone else get this message when trying to download currency rates.
I've used Quicken for over 10 years. I download currency rates daily..first time I've seen this message.
THANK YOU

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.   

(CTP-6881)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello dcarefoot and Masterchiun
    Please click the photo in my May 29 posting, and you'll see an IMPORT button in the Canadian version.

Does the IMPORT button appear in your Canadian Version, and if so, does it work? (if it is different, could you post a photo?) THANKS
  • dcarefoot
    dcarefoot Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Import button appears in the Canadian version but hasn't worked for years. Either manual update daily/weekly (which is not currently functioning) or manual input of FX rates which is time consuming.
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

[Removed-Rant]

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Actually it did import rates, but the latest rate it fetched was from 2008. I tested that feature in a new empty file and determined it does import rates, but only very old ones.

Answers

• Axel
    Axel Unconfirmed ✭✭

same here

• Arctic Hare

Yes, I am getting the same error message today. Recommend using the Report a Problem feature in Quicken.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.   

(CTP-6881)

Quicken Kristina

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Kristina,

Could you please clarify something for me? I spoke with a supervisor in your tech support at the end of the day yesterday, and he told me that many users with either the Canadian or the US versions were having this exact problem...but I don't see any other reports in the community.

Is this widespread, or only with the Canadian version? It would appear to be a problem with the connection to Quicken's 'currency data provider'.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply @Organone,

Unfortunately, the people who track contacts and issues reported through Quicken Support directly are in a different department from us, so we do not have visibility of that information. However, I can see that this issue does not currently show as a widespread issue since no internal alerts or internal trouble tickets have been released for it as of this time.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Arctic Hare

Which says a lot about Quicken given that several people have called Quicken support about the issues, used Report a Problem, and posted about it here… and yet there is no internal alert or trouble ticket.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Kristina

When I called into support, they could not find any support agent that had Canadian Quicken installed and operating. Could you, or one of your tech support people, please install Canadian Quicken Home & Business, and go to TOOLS>>>CURRENCY LIST>>>UPDATE (see photo attached)...test and report the results.

I also run US Quicken Deluxe, and there is no UPDATE CURRENCY feature...so of course there will be no reports of it from US Quicken customers. Please help your Canadian neighbours...
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

I was able to replicate the issue and included my own logs, sanitized data file, and screenshot of the issue when I forwarded the issue to the proper channels.

The issue is affecting the US version of Quicken also; I just saw a discussion today with a couple customers who use the US version reporting the issue.

If you are not seeing the option in the US version of Quicken for Windows, you would want to make sure you have Multicurrency support enabled. You would find that setting under Edit>Preferences>Calendar and currency. Once that is enabled, then you should see the option to update currency in the same place (Tools>Currency List, Update button).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Kristina...thank you for replicating the issue.

However, I already have Multicurrency selected in US Quicken...and the screen is not similar to Canadian Quicken...is there another step that will show IMPORT or UPDATE buttons? see screenshots attached
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

In the US version of Quicken for Windows, R 49.33, I am going to Tools>Currency List.

The Currency List window has an update button at the bottom right.

When I click Update, One Step Update runs and I get the same error you reported.

I hope this helps.

Quicken Kristina

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Kristina
    This is very odd. I have the same US Version, but there is no update button (see photo).
    Are you can see from the 'comparison' photo, the Canadian Version is different. While I'm asking, the IMPORT button (which used to work fine) stopped working a few years ago. The IMPORT feature is very useful for Canadians. When you fix the UPDATE button, could you also please fix the IMPORT button?
    THANK YOU
  • deibi
    deibi Member
    edited May 2023

Same Ver. Same build on Windows 11. This is a serious problem and it's about time Q fixed it. New release new problems! [Edited-Readability]

[Merged Post]

• dcarefoot
    dcarefoot Member ✭✭

As with Organone, the Currency Update feature under my Canadian subscription stopped working on May 26th and the error message "unable to download currency rates - please try again later" appeared. I also miss the Import feature and while the button still exists in the Canadian version it does not yield any results.

• Masterchiun
    Masterchiun Member

I'm using the Canadian version and I too have the same problem.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello dcarefoot and Masterchiun
    Please click the photo in my May 29 posting, and you'll see an IMPORT button in the Canadian version.

Does the IMPORT button appear in your Canadian Version, and if so, does it work? (if it is different, could you post a photo?) THANKS
  • dcarefoot
    dcarefoot Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Import button appears in the Canadian version but hasn't worked for years. Either manual update daily/weekly (which is not currently functioning) or manual input of FX rates which is time consuming.
  • Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Kristina

While you are working on the currency issue, could you also please fix the IMPORT button, which does not appear in the US Version?

As you see from dcarefoot's comment, the IMPORT button isn't working...and it makes it much more difficult for your Canadian users.

Would like to understand why you don't fix a feature that worked successfully for years?

THANK YOU
  • Arctic Hare

I use the Canadian version and I do see the Import button. I just tried using the Import feature for the first time to see what it does. Well, it goes through a process and claims to be importing CAD:USD history, but it is not obvious what it did or didn't do. My F/X history normally updates when I run One Step Update - until that recently stopped working. So, I have daily F/X history dating back years from an automated process; however, the last F/X rate update was May 26, after which the feature stopped working. Normally, F/X rate updates is a process that I don't think about - it just happens… but, that changed on May 26.

• stelub
    stelub Member ✭✭
    Hi, Same problem here. Error message - unable to download latest currency rates. Please fix the issue!
  • DJS
    DJS Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Error message - unable to download latest currency rates. Please fix the issue! It sure would be nice to hear from the Quicken moderators that they are aware of the issue and that it's being addressed.
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply @DJS,

I forwarded the issue to the proper channels on 26 May.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Gautam Tupil
    Gautam Tupil Member ✭✭✭

I have the same problem with the Canadian version of Quicken. Seems to have stopped working around May 26 and gives an error message when using One Step Update (as other posts seem to indicate). Please fix it.

• DM_
    DM_ Member

I am getting the same error message here. Interesting that the stock prices updating is working fine.

• BigSpender69
    BigSpender69 Member ✭✭
    Seeing that the currency updates were working fine a few days ago, it sounds like a server side problem.
  • cobourgjohn
    cobourgjohn Member

I too have the same problem - started to fail on May 29 but most recent updated currency was on May 25. Needs to be fixed. Perhaps it only matters if you have more than one currency. I have two - Canadian and US. Also there is no way to delete currencies I don't use. No delete button or any way to delete.

• yang9428
    yang9428 Member

Hi, Same problem here. Error message - unable to download latest currency rates. Please fix the issue ASAP!

• stelub
    stelub Member ✭✭
    I understand that this issue was reported by Moderator Quicken Kristina on May 26th, but it would be nice to get a update on the progress and an estimate as to when this issue will be corrected. Currency rates are essention for multi-currency investments. Might there be any info that can be provided in this regards?
  • cebly
    cebly Member

I have been having the same problem for at least 2-3 days (Q R49.33 US Version, Windows 11). This is quite problematic. And given that this seems widespread, the lack of a serious response is concerning.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Add me to the list of Canadian having this problem.

I have no idea what Quicken has been up to but it is NOT good. In the last few weeks a) Canadian stick prices are no longer working properly and b) F/X rates are no longer updating. NOT GOOD!

One interesting observation: both problems are unique to the Windows Version in that I run both the Mac Version and the Windows Versions; these functions work on the Mac Version but do not work on the Quicken Version.
  • Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello JoelC
    Please see the attached photo in my May 29 post, which in the Canadian Version shows an IMPORT button, which is supposed to import historical US dollar rates.
    Does the Mac Version have this IMPORT button, and does it work?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.