Leslie Charmatz
Leslie Charmatz Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Have many securities with no transactions and cannot delete the security

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    What Quicken year and version and release are you using? US or Canadian?

How have you tried to delete a security?  Give step by step instructions on how you are trying to accomplish this so we may help.
  • Leslie Charmatz
    edited December 2016
    Quicken 2015 R11 US
    under Tools Security List, delete option is always grayed out no matter if there are no transactions or price history.  For securities with no transactions but with historical price data do I need to delete the entire price history?  Even when there is no history can not delete a security.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Hmmm, interesting.  I never even noticed that before.  I have Quicken 2017 and I have some securities that are in closed accounts that I can't delete, even though there is zero shares.  But there was some transaction history at one time with those securities.  For those, the DELETE is grayed out..and understandably so.  

Others, that haven't ever had any transactions the DELETE shows up, even though I have price history for them.  

So...

1 Click on the security and make absolutely sure you have had no transactions associated with that security by looking at the Security Detail View and looking just to the right and seeing if indeed there are no transactions.

2 If there truly have been no transactions, then I would make a copy of your data file, validate the file including deleting the price history.  

See if that corrects your problem.
  • Leslie Charmatz
    edited December 2016
    I have closed a couple of very old investment accounts, so I wonder if these transactions do not show up in the transaction details for these securities? If so I cannot look at these accounts any longer so does that mean that the securities can't be deleted?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    You can always "view hidden accounts" from Tools > Account List > then look at the bottom and check "Show hidden accounts".

I'm guessing that if you had ANY transactions with that security in the past, you can't delete the security.  And I'm assuming you know why that's the case.  

I have about a dozen closed investment accounts with "old securities" I don't trade any more (some of the companies are bankrupt...lol).  But when I click on an old security, even though the account is hidden the transactions show in the Security Detail View and have the hidden and closed account listed.

It may just be a function of a closed account with previous transactions using that security.  And thus you can't delete the security.  Doing so would make a mess of your Quicken account.  
  • Nique
    Nique Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I came across this same problem and I think I have it figured out. I also closed some old accounts and hid them. The transactions in the hidden accounts were not showing in the transaction history. I went to the report for that security and clicked on customize, under accounts I clicked to show hidden accounts and selected all. The transaction history now showed the transactions from the closed/hidden accounts which explains why I could not delete the security. I you still want to delete the security you can look up delete security in the help menu. It tells you to delete each transaction listed on the report before you can delete the account. This of course will delete the activity in the closed accounts and could mess things up if you ever want to look them up.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 2017
    You cannot delete a security that has EVER had a transaction. That is by design.

From the security list, click on the security name to look through the security detail.
  • billr
    billr Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nique said:

I came across this same problem and I think I have it figured out. I also closed some old accounts and hid them. The transactions in the hidden accounts were not showing in the transaction history. I went to the report for that security and clicked on customize, under accounts I clicked to show hidden accounts and selected all. The transaction history now showed the transactions from the closed/hidden accounts which explains why I could not delete the security. I you still want to delete the security you can look up delete security in the help menu. It tells you to delete each transaction listed on the report before you can delete the account. This of course will delete the activity in the closed accounts and could mess things up if you ever want to look them up.

Thank you! I had the same problem and this appears to be the solution!
This discussion has been closed.