50 missing shares

helen
helen Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I just sold the remaining shares in a fund I've owned for years. When I tried to record the sale of the 139.447 shares, Quicken only lets me put 89.447 shares (50 less). If I look in holdings it correctly lists the 139.447 shares. Please help.  Using Quicken Home & Business 2016 Windows

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Are you using the "Enter Transactions" action button on the upper left of the register?

I'd use that, select SELL from the dropdown box for the action and make sure you check "Sell all shares in this account" for the security.  

Does Quicken then display 139.447 shares?
  • helen
    helen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    That's exactly how I did it, and it puts in the lower number.  If I simply try to enter the number instead of checking sell all shares, it says there aren't enough shares to cover the sale.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Do you have the shares in multiple accounts?  Such as 89 in one account and 50 in another.  (Note you have not provided us much info to start with, so this can become 20 Questions -- a game I don't like playing.)

Have you sold some of these shares in the past?  I so, I would consider deleting and re-entering the last sale.

Do you have any sales dated (accidentally) in the future?  if so, delete them or correct them.

Can you enter the sale for 139 shares on a prior date, like a month ago, a year ago, etc.?  What are the intervening transactions?  Delete and re-enter or otherwise correct them. 

Can you snip and present a view of the transactions for this security?  (Windows snip tool)  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are there any Placeholder transactions for this security?
  • helen
    helen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried some of the easy ones, but no success yet.  No, there are no placeholder transactions.  The account is listed as a brokerage account even though it's a single mutual fund.  When I have time I will try changing that to see if it helps.  Deleting the last sale didn't seem to help.  No transactions in the future (at least not any showing in the list of transactions).  I have 4 past sales on this fund.  Have used specific ID, so I need to make sure I have all the info re: chosen lots on these past sales before I delete them and reenter them (doesn't seem to be an easy way to print out the list of the chosen lots that I see). 
  • helen
    helen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Also wanted to add that I did have to go through some contortions in 2010 when the fund was converted to "admiral shares" at Vanguard with a slightly different number of shares.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    helen said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried some of the easy ones, but no success yet.  No, there are no placeholder transactions.  The account is listed as a brokerage account even though it's a single mutual fund.  When I have time I will try changing that to see if it helps.  Deleting the last sale didn't seem to help.  No transactions in the future (at least not any showing in the list of transactions).  I have 4 past sales on this fund.  Have used specific ID, so I need to make sure I have all the info re: chosen lots on these past sales before I delete them and reenter them (doesn't seem to be an easy way to print out the list of the chosen lots that I see). 

(doesn't seem to be an easy way to print out the list of the chosen lots that I see). 
    Printing a capital gains report for that security for the relevant time period should provide all the necessary details in that regard. 

When you are doing this type of exercise, it is always good to keep backups of the data file handy.  Then nothing is ever really lost.

You may also need to try the Validate and Repair options, including rebuilding the lots.  Do NOT take the Delete Prices option.  (File Operations)  Conventional Wisdom, says to have Quicken make a copy of your data file, the validate the copy.
This discussion has been closed.