market value showing gain not value

pecck1
pecck1 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Using Mac Deluxe 2018 ver. 5.6.5 (Build 56.22537.100)
When viewing an investment account the top right corner lists "market value" and "day gain/loss".  Under market value is the actual gain/loss and not the real market value.
I'm entering data myself and not relying on a download with any institution.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    I would suspect a placeholder for the cash balance is causing your issue. From your screenshot, is the cash balance really $-6K?

Make a backup, and look at the beginning of your register for a light gray transaction adjusting your cash balance. Depending on your situation, you might have to delete it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

I would suspect a placeholder for the cash balance is causing your issue. From your screenshot, is the cash balance really $-6K?

Make a backup, and look at the beginning of your register for a light gray transaction adjusting your cash balance. Depending on your situation, you might have to delete it.

John is correct. The market value is the sum of any cash and market value. Since you have a negative cash amount, the total Market Value is correct. You need to transfer some cash into your account from another source to offset that cash negative cash value. If you don't have a source account, you could just enter a Payment/Deposit transaction with a Payee of "Adjustment to account" and any category you choose.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018

Since the OP states "not relying on download with any institution", I don't think a placeholder is the problem. I suspect that the OP has been entering BUY transactions without, as BruceG points out, corresponding deposit transactions to show where the cash is coming from.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pecck1
    pecck1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you, the issue was that I hadn't shown a deposit prior to purchasing shares.
This discussion has been closed.