how do I change the account where my updates are going?

Options
My one step updates for a credit card account are going to a "fake" account rather than the actual one. I have to move them each time. It won't let me change the fake account name to the real one as it says it already exists. I'm afraid to delete the fake one as sometimes it's impossible to set up a connection. This is an American Express credit card from Morgan Stanley.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The usual process would be to deactivate the actual account and the fake account both, then to reactivate the actual account and link it to the correct register.
    As an alternative I suggest making no changes to the download process. Keep both accounts.
    Rename the actual account to "...-OLD" and rename the fake account to the name of the actual account.
    Start using the fake-now-actual account as the real account, because it already is set up for downloading. Transfer the balance of the original-actual account to the new account, as of the last reconcile date or as of the January statement date.
    Move unreconciled transactions from old to new account. You want to have all transactions belonging to the latest statement in the new account.
    Review your scheduled reminders and change the account to point to the new account register, e.g., your monthly payment transfer from the checking account or any recurring payments paid from the credit card.
    Mark your old account as closed, but do NOT delete it, together with all its transactions, to keep the transaction history.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The usual process would be to deactivate the actual account and the fake account both, then to reactivate the actual account and link it to the correct register.
    As an alternative I suggest making no changes to the download process. Keep both accounts.
    Rename the actual account to "...-OLD" and rename the fake account to the name of the actual account.
    Start using the fake-now-actual account as the real account, because it already is set up for downloading. Transfer the balance of the original-actual account to the new account, as of the last reconcile date or as of the January statement date.
    Move unreconciled transactions from old to new account. You want to have all transactions belonging to the latest statement in the new account.
    Review your scheduled reminders and change the account to point to the new account register, e.g., your monthly payment transfer from the checking account or any recurring payments paid from the credit card.
    Mark your old account as closed, but do NOT delete it, together with all its transactions, to keep the transaction history.
This discussion has been closed.