Is there a way to edit the groups an account appears in?

My mortgage is showing up as a credit card and I can't set it as a mortgage. I've disabled downloads and tried to change the account type but mortgage isn't listed.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Worldspinning, In QMac, the groupings in the sidebar are set by the account type and cannot be changed by the user. The only control you have is arrange the order within a group by the first character of the account name alphabetically.

Account of type Checking are considered Cash accounts and will always be in that group. 

If your mortgage is listed in Credit Cards, then it must be set as type Credit Card. You can check this in the account settings. Quicken won't generally let you change a credit card account to mortgage, so you'll probably have to set the mortgage up as a new account of the correct type. You may be able to drag transaction from the credit card account to the new mortgage account once you've got it set up.

BTW, if you peruse the Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac categories, you'll find there are at least a couple idea posts about sidebar grouping and ordering. At least one of them is marked as planned (but we don't know when that might happen).

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Hello@Worldspinning

Thank you for posting in the Community today though I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue with the account groups.

To be sure I am on track, are you referring to the way that the accounts are grouped under the account bar? Is the mortgage account set up as a loan account? It is possible that the information regarding the account was provided incorrectly but any information about how the account is set up and has been added will be helpful.

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• Worldspinning
    Worldspinning Member
    edited April 2021
    Thanks Diana,

That's right, the issue I'm having is the way accounts appear in the sidebar in their related groups. My mortgage is listed alongside actual credit cards and my checking account is listed in the cash group but my savings is correct as It is listed in the savings group.

My bank only allows direct connect at the moment. When it did allow Quicken Connect, it worked perfectly. So it is very likely something on their end causing this since they seem to be listing it as a line of credit only.

It'd be nice if Quicken could be a little more customizable or intuitive for issues like this.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Worldspinning, In QMac, the groupings in the sidebar are set by the account type and cannot be changed by the user. The only control you have is arrange the order within a group by the first character of the account name alphabetically.

Account of type Checking are considered Cash accounts and will always be in that group. 

If your mortgage is listed in Credit Cards, then it must be set as type Credit Card. You can check this in the account settings. Quicken won't generally let you change a credit card account to mortgage, so you'll probably have to set the mortgage up as a new account of the correct type. You may be able to drag transaction from the credit card account to the new mortgage account once you've got it set up.

BTW, if you peruse the Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac categories, you'll find there are at least a couple idea posts about sidebar grouping and ordering. At least one of them is marked as planned (but we don't know when that might happen).

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.