After R36.17 September Update RJ Brokerage Accounts Switched to Simple Tracking Method

basimmer
basimmer Member ✭✭
After the R36.17 update and during the next One Step Update, all of my Raymond James accounts tracking method was changed from complete to simple. It was noticed because of a significant decrease in account value after the update. Each account register was missing due to the change to simple. Upon changing back to complete, each account register had a reconciled MiscExp transaction to remove cash in the accounts. Removing those entries put the accounts back in order as they should be and subsequent updates seem to be fine leaving accounts as complete. I have one linked checking account that also changed to simple that seems to be OK and I am leaving that one alone for now to see what happens.

Comments

• hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    same problems with all my accounts TD Ameritrade and Charles Schwab. In addition, when I select a Charles Schwab account instead of opening the register it opens the investing dashboard. A real mess!
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    Fixed Charles Schwab accounts by switching simple to complete before updating. However TD Ameritrade values do not much actual account values, they are overstated in quicken. Not sure why...
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    mutual funds prices in TD Ameritrade different than prices in quicken which causes account values to be misstated 
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @basimmer

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I'm glad to see that you were able to switch back to the Complete investing option and have corrected the accounts, however, I have forwarded the details of this issue to our product teams so they may be aware and can investigate further before releasing R36.17 live to all users.

To aid our teams in investigating this matter, please open Quicken, go to the Help menu and select the "Report a Problem" option.

In the window that opens, please reference this community post, select all of the files listed and when ready click "Send to Quicken".

You will not receive a response for this submission, however, the information included will be used by our teams for investigating the reported issue.

Thank you again,

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    Hello @hmday

To ensure we are understanding your situation correctly, after installing the R36.17 release, you also experienced both the Charles Schwab and TD Ameritrade accounts automatically switch from Complete to the Simple investing view, is that correct?

If so, it appears that you were able to correct the Charles Schwab account by switching it back to Complete investing, is that also correct?

To clarify, for the TD Ameritrade account(s), after switching them back to Complete investing, the mutual fund prices are still incorrect?  

Please let us know if we are understanding the situation correctly, or if there is anything we have misunderstood from your posts.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ok...After the update the Schwab accounts were switched to Simple. Which caused inaccurate valuations. I could not investigate as to why this occurred because when I when to the account transaction the only thing I could see was the investment dashboard for that individual account. I could not view the transaction.
    After the 35.xx update I had selected Complete in the drop down menu under preferences. After the update the global choice in the preferences drop down was absent. The choice for Simple or Complete now appeared on the edit account menu for each individual account. I reinstalled the program to the version 35.xx. reinstalled a backup file then updated to 36.xx. I edited each account from Simple to Complete before running an OSU. I completed an OSU.  The problem was fixed. 

Regarding the TD accounts when I viewed the edit account they had remained as Complete not simple. The problem I had was the day I updated to 36.xx the accounts recorded an incorrect price for the mutual funds in those accounts for that day (there are not mutual funds in the Schwab account). I deleted that day's price. This fixed that problem. I don't know why I got an incorrect price the day I completed the first 36.xx update. It wasn't a problem on my second update.

So I think the only problem is that choosing Simple or Complete was moved from the global preferences to the individual accounts and for the Schwab accounts it defaulted to the Simple mode.

hope that makes sense!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    In R36.17 Quicken removed the global preference of "Enable Simple Investing" option and populated it into each individual investment account.
    Upon updating to R36.17 using the Mondo patch, a few of my investment accounts also changed to Simple investing while some remained at Complete - and I had NEVER enabled the "Simple Investing" global preference option in the past.  Hence everything should've been defaulted to Complete.

I ran a few tests and this is what I found out:  IMO this issue is NOT in R36.17, rather R36.17 exposed it because of the change.  This probably happened in some prior release when Simple Investing was first introduced.  So I went back to an older file in my R32.12 setup and enabled Simple Investing for the first time.  Then looked at every individual investment account and to my surprise some were defaulted to Simple and others to Complete.  I repeat, that I had never ever enabled the simple investing global preference and none of my investment accounts are new.  So those settings default values had arbitrarily changed while they were disabled (hence invisible) by the global preference in some prior release.

Simple workaround: After you upgrade to R36.17, do NOT run Update/One Step Update.  Instead, first thing to do is to go to "Edit account details" of every investment account you have in Quicken and verify/set your desired Simple/Complete preference.  Hope this helps.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• basimmer
    basimmer Member ✭✭
    BK's comments and suggestions make sense in my situation. The accounts switched from complete to simple in my case were new and setup in February. All other accounts had been setup prior and were not impacted. Not catching this after the upgrade, I ran the one setup update and watched the values drop in the account list balance more than I knew the market had lost that day. Figuring out the issue and switching back to complete allowed me to view the register and delete the MiscExp entries that had removed the cash in these brokerage accounts. I have had no other issues since.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello All,

Thank you again for reporting this behavior to the community and to those who have submitted the Report a Problem submission!  Our teams are currently investigating this matter and I will be back to share any updates and/or resolution to this issue, as they become available.

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello All,

A fix for this issue has been implemented in the R36.23 release, currently available in a staged release format.

For more information on this release and a link to install the R36.23 release is available here.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.