Quicken Freezing While Attempting to Activate OSU with Capital One [Edited]

Options
Jared posted on 3/29/22 that this ongoing issue since Oct 2021 has been resolved. It hasn't for me. Instead of the repeated authorization error messages, I now get:
1. If I go into "account details->online services->your financial institution supports an improved connection method. Click here to find out more and get set up" and "click here" Quicken freezes. 10 mins later, I have to "end process" and restart.
2. If I login to Capital One and download transactions, then they import successfully, and Quicken displays a message "Activate One Step Update". I click "yes, Activate One Step Update" and Quicken freezes as above. I have to "end process" and restart.
So I fail to understand what has been fixed. It's actually got worse.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @Brian94582

I am sorry to hear about this issue with account connections. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Also, did the issue with the application freezing during updates begin in October 2021?

I look forward to your response, should you have the chance to check back in with us again. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same issue with freezes when trying to convert from downloaded transactions to Express Web Connect -- just started today, although I've been having an on-going issue with Capital One updates not working for a couple of weeks now. If I create a new account and connect by choosing any of the institution selections, either "Capital One Card Services", "Capital One Card - Current", or "Capital One Bank - New" (does anyone really know why there are 3 different selections listed, plus the "Capital One 360"?), Quicken thinks it's connected and will try to perform updates, but transactions never update, AND the on-line balance and credit remaining indicators are not shown at the bottom of the register. These two indicators are shown on my other connected credit card accounts and used to be displayed for my Capital One CC account, but not any longer. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting probably 20 times now with the different Capital One institution selections, setting them up as new accounts, relinking them to existing accounts, going through the Web Connect + process online to authorize them with Capital One ... nothing works! And now this new issue with freezing the screen when trying to convert an account.

Jared -- what did you omit when you started to say something about checking Chrome privacy settings and the steps below. There were no "steps below". Thanks,

-Stuart-
  • Donda
    Donda Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with Capital One also. With Citibank, I was successful in setting up Web Connect so the problem seems to be isolated to Capital One.
    Donda
  • Quicken Jared
    edited April 2022
    Options
    StuartG said:
    I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same issue with freezes when trying to convert from downloaded transactions to Express Web Connect -- just started today, although I've been having an on-going issue with Capital One updates not working for a couple of weeks now. If I create a new account and connect by choosing any of the institution selections, either "Capital One Card Services", "Capital One Card - Current", or "Capital One Bank - New" (does anyone really know why there are 3 different selections listed, plus the "Capital One 360"?), Quicken thinks it's connected and will try to perform updates, but transactions never update, AND the on-line balance and credit remaining indicators are not shown at the bottom of the register. These two indicators are shown on my other connected credit card accounts and used to be displayed for my Capital One CC account, but not any longer. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting probably 20 times now with the different Capital One institution selections, setting them up as new accounts, relinking them to existing accounts, going through the Web Connect + process online to authorize them with Capital One ... nothing works! And now this new issue with freezing the screen when trying to convert an account.

Jared -- what did you omit when you started to say something about checking Chrome privacy settings and the steps below. There were no "steps below". Thanks,

-Stuart-
    Hello @StuartG and @Donda,     

I am sorry that you are also being affected by these issues with account connections. Thank you for reaching out to us and seeking additional information in this discussion.

@StuartG, I also would like to know where your current active data file is located, per the earlier comment I left in the thread.

@Donda, are you also making use of the Express Web Connect method for linking or adding your accounts? You can check this by going to Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen and clicking the Edit button in the row associated with the affected account(s) that appear in the window that follows. Next, navigate to the Online Services tab and look under the Online Setup callout box. This should contain the information I am looking for.

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am also unable to connect to Capital One. With the prior issues with Capital One, my accounts are currently not connected. Every time I have tried to connect my accounts Quicken freezes. It turns a soft gray and does nothing. Have to use Task Manager to force it to quit.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    ksm said:
    I am also unable to connect to Capital One. With the prior issues with Capital One, my accounts are currently not connected. Every time I have tried to connect my accounts Quicken freezes. It turns a soft gray and does nothing. Have to use Task Manager to force it to quit.
    Hello @ksm,

I am sorry to hear about this problem with connection issues and crashes affecting you. Thank you for looking to this discussion for further information and assistance.

Have you tried restarting your computer once this happens? Also, where is the current active data file located? You can check this by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I am eager to see any further updates you may be able to provide in reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My computer has been restarted several times from the time I first tried connecting Quicken to Capital One over a week ago and since I tried again today before I posted my comment. 

My current active Quicken file is in Documents > Quicken.

• ksm
    ksm Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This morning I followed the guidance from this discussion: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20262040#Comment_20262040

I was able to connect my Capital One accounts BUT it again changed the balances on all three of my accounts. (I do manual reconciliation of downloads.) 

I believe the best course of action is to just assume that Quicken and Capital One are not playing well together and to stop frustrating ourselves by trying to connect. Very unfortunate as for many, many years this has not been an issue.
  • Chuck Boykin
    Options
    I am having the SAME problem and I have been using Capitol ONE for YEARS with Quicken without this problem. I hope that you will FIX IT!
  • Quicken Jared
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I apologize that this issue seems to be ongoing. Thank you for following up on the situation in this discussion. 

It would benefit us in working towards a resolution if everyone could submit program logs regarding this issue by going to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You may then submit screenshots documenting the behavior, if possible, as well as a brief description of the problem in text form. These submissions will be forwarded to the proper channels and used purely for investigative purposes and a reply regarding the matter will not be available, nor can we provide an ETA on a solution at this time. 

Feel free to contact the Quicken Community with additional comments or questions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    Options
    My QDF data file resides in C:\ProgramData\Quicken and has always been located there. Last week, I created a new account for my Capital One credit card (selected "Capital One Card - Current"), entered a balance transfer from "old" Capital One account to the new one, and was able to get it working again. Sync updates were working correctly for several days, updating both new transactions and current on-line balance. HOWEVER, this morning on-line balance won't update, but new transactions downloaded correctly. This balance appears to be out-of-sync by at least one day ... unlike my Chevron cc, which is out of sync by 4 months but keeps moving forward in real-time and downloading new transactions as they occur.
  • Brian94582
    Brian94582 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm the OP, and sorry for the delay in replying. Like the other posters, my file is in Documents/Quicken where it's been for 20 years. It's still freezing. I will report a problem as you suggest. BTW to fix the initial problem with the repeated authorization messages, I had to disable the Capital One Quicken credit card account that I'd been using for 7 years and create a new one. I was then able to login to Capital One and push the transactions to Quicken using "download transactions into Quicken using a QFX file". I am obviously still unable to pull from Capital One down into Quicken because of this freezing problem.
This discussion has been closed.