Please Fix Software Algorithm for Matching Transactions

When matching manual entries with downloaded transactions, Quicken should look at the dates and choose to match the one that is closest or on the same date. Often it would seemingly randomly select a transaction to match, often months or years apart. For a vendor I use daily/weekly/monthly and often pays the same amount (e.g. coffee shop, Netflix, fast food restaurants, etc), this is a hassle. Clearly transactions months or even weeks apart should not match, especially when a matching one on a closer date is available.

Another typical situation is I'd manually make an entry for something I had just purchased. Then that purchase shows up in the downloaded transactions, but dated 1-2 days later, depends on when the seller settled the transaction.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Flyboy333 said:
    When matching manual entries with downloaded transactions, Quicken should look at the dates and choose to match the one that is closest or on the same date. Often it would seemingly randomly select a transaction to match, often months or years apart. For a vendor I use daily/weekly/monthly and often pays the same amount (e.g. coffee shop, Netflix, fast food restaurants, etc), this is a hassle. Clearly transactions months or even weeks apart should not match, especially when a matching one on a closer date is available.

Another typical situation is I'd manually make an entry for something I had just purchased. Then that purchase shows up in the downloaded transactions, but dated 1-2 days later, depends on when the seller settled the transaction.
    Hello @Flyboy333,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with matching transactions. Thank you for bringing this matter up for discussion on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried validating your data file? First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then move through the steps provided below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you about whether or not this has been attempted, and about any results you may have noticed. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.