Validate and Super Validate freezes Quicken R40.21 Win 10

ajb328
ajb328 Member ✭✭
Validate and Super Validate shuts down Quicken. Attempts to restart gets error message "Quicken in use by other program" which is not true.
Back up copy works fine and able to restart Quicken.
Anyone else having validate/super validate freeze issues?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please try this:

- Make a copy of your data file:
    Click File / Copy or Backup File. Select Create a Copy or Template. Click Next.

Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / Copy...  When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  (On some systems, if SHIFT+CTRL doesn't get you the prompt, try just pressing and holding SHIFT)  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken and run both Validate and Supervalidate.
    - If successful so far, close and restart Quicken using the copied and validated file. You will have to reestablish download connections to all your bank accounts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "freezes"?
    If you mean you are seeing that Quicken is "not responding" according to Windows, that is normal and you should just wait it out.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ajb328
    ajb328 Member ✭✭
    No. It shuts down Quicken completely. Attempts to re-start results in error message "Quicken in use by other programs such as cloud...". I shut down my google cloud service, my MS One Drive service, my Good Sync service and all other possible services, reboot, and still get same error message when attempting to restart Quicken. Essentially this qdf file is now useless, I have back up file which was made immediately prior to validate process and use that to restart quicken with everything intact as prior to validate issue. I have regularly used validate/super validate and this is first time this error has occurred. Been using QUicken since V 1.0, have been thru many issues but this validate issue is baffling.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running a Quicken validate?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • @ajb328 - Where is your Quicken data file located?
  • ajb328
    ajb328 Member ✭✭
    Have not booted to safe mode yet and will do so today.
    QDF and related files located on local C drive docs folder, not on google drive or one drive folders.
  • ajb328
    ajb328 Member ✭✭
    Sorry for delay. Had to set up bitlocker recovery key before booting in safe mode. Plus, ISP issues (Optimum) - very slow upload speeds. Safe mode allowed no issues with validate. This AM opened same QDF file (before latest update) ran file, backed up, and ran validate successfully, so no more issues. My best guess is that rather than just "quit" MS one drive back up, I "paused" it. I would pause my Google backup/sync but "quit" MS One Drive previously when the error occurred. Just updated to latest Quicken version so we'll see tomorrow. For now, all is well. Thanks for the help
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you're not storing your current Quicken data file in a cloud folder, it can lead to corruption. Backups to a cloud folder are fine.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ajb328
    ajb328 Member ✭✭
    qdf stored locally. backed up to cloud
This discussion has been closed.