How can I open a backup without replacing my current file? (Q Mac)

Options
Torino
Torino Member
I've read all the (closed) threads on this that I could find, none of which provided a solution. Please point me in the right direction!

I want to open a backup file WITHOUT restoring the backup or doing anything at all to my current file data. I just want to examine the backup. This should be doable but I can't make it happen.

Mac OS 12.1, Quicken 6.8.2

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you open a backup file by double clicking it in current QMac, you will get a dialog that says that the current file will be closed and you will be asked where to save the restored file. When you click the Restore This File button, you will see a file dialog. Just name the file something unique and locate it somewhere easy to access, such as your Mac Desktop. The file will open but not replace or interfere with your regular file. When you want to go back to your regular file, either locate it in the Finder and double click it, or use the File > Open Recent menu item in Quicken to re-open it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you open a backup file by double clicking it in current QMac, you will get a dialog that says that the current file will be closed and you will be asked where to save the restored file. When you click the Restore This File button, you will see a file dialog. Just name the file something unique and locate it somewhere easy to access, such as your Mac Desktop. The file will open but not replace or interfere with your regular file. When you want to go back to your regular file, either locate it in the Finder and double click it, or use the File > Open Recent menu item in Quicken to re-open it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Torino
    Torino Member
    Options
    Thank you! The "restore" dialog language was unclear to me, so I was hesitant to go down that road. Thank you for the tip!
This discussion has been closed.