Error in value when transferring securities

IfIMust
IfIMust Member ✭✭
I've closed an account & transferred the securities into another account I own. Simple enough, right? In real life, yes. In Quicken, apparently not.

The transactions are there, but the VALUE of the securities remain in the old account (even though the old account shows no holdings & a zero balance- it shows the security value as the market value of the securities that are no longer in it) and the account that the securities have been transferred into, when I pull up the detailed market value show the actual market value of those securities, but do not show it on the overview screen or anywhere else, including the total market value of the account.

I have even tried creating a new account, deleting the transfers & creating them again & the exact same thing happened. This has not happened with any other account that I transferred so I am stumped! Any suggestions on how to make these accounts function properly?

Answers

• IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    I should also say I also tried transferring the securities "all at once" and then tried one by one manually in case the "all at once" feature was creating the issue. It was not. There are no hidden transactions in the account & no fractional shares have been left behind in the account. The old account has a true zero balance- it just won't let go of the value of the securities.
  • @ifimust - have you tried closing and reopening Quicken?  Or, rebooting your computer, then going back into Quicken?  Sometimes Quicken needs a "refresh".
  • IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    Yes, I have tried that several times unfortunately. I've been troubleshooting this for weeks before finally coming to the community for ideas I may not have thought of. I even tried updated quote prices thinking that perhaps when forced to realize it had no quotes to update in that account it might go to zero & the other account would update itself appropriately, but also they did not.

The security value remains in the old account, stubbornly refusing to transfer to where the securities are actually residing.
  • Another thing to try is a "Ctrl+Shift+Z" in the closed investment register.  You will get a pop-up that asks if you want to recalculate all transactions.  I know you said there wasn't any transactions left in the closed account, but it's worth a try.
  • IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    Definitely worth a try! Sadly, didn't work. I'm well & truly stumped.
  • It then might be an issue with your data file.  Have you tried doing a validate or super validate?

Validate: 
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please make a backup before you do the validates, just in case.

Otherwise, the only other option I can think of is to contact Quicken Customer Support.  

• IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    I haven't, but I'll definitely try that next. Thank you!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps there are placeholders in the old account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    Thanks for trying- it still didn't work.

Placeholders were the first thing I checked @mshiggins, no such luck. It's zeroed everywhere- it just refuses to give up its market value & the new account refuses to show the market values. <shrug>. I'll have to contact Quicken.
  • IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    Sadly, Quicken support's answer was to start a new file so I'm going to keep trying to figure out if there's anything else I'm missing on my end that might make this work. I really don't want to begin fresh as I've spent the last few weeks catching all of my accounts up. Sigh... sometimes I really miss the days when I just used pen & paper.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @ifimust - what about just closing the account and then deleting it?  Then do a validate to ensure the file is not corrupted.  You aren't planning to keeping that account anyway.  I would certainly try that before starting a new file.  Of course, do a backup first, so you can get back to your original starting place if you need to.

Sorry we couldn't come up with a solution, but if you do happen to find a way to fix the issue, please circle back and share what you found.
  • mshiggins
    If you transferred all the securities from one account to another account, an alternate approach is to keep everything in the original account.

Assuming the original account is enabled for transaction downloading, deactivate the online access, change the financial institution from the old FI to the new FI, and activate transaction download with the new FI. You can include a reminder transaction to document the date of the changeover. 

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @mshiggins - Assets from the old account are being combined into another account that already exists on Quicken, so your method would not work.  It is not just a matter of changing the FI.  Assets from two separate accounts are being consolidated into one account.
  • IfIMust
    IfIMust Member ✭✭
    Damian is correct- assets are being combined. Most fascinating, none of the accounts are connected to a FI- I do it all by hand, so none of this is the FI's fault. It's somewhere in the Quicken system. I could delete the old account- or archive it, which is likely what I'll try next to see if that changes anything. I have the backup so I can retrieve it if necessary. It's just a fascinating riddle and I hate when I can't figure out why something doesn't work the way it should. If I could only find the right box to check or button to push...
  • mshiggins
    So were there 3 accounts total? 2 sources and 1 target? Did you try other combinations of source/target?

Also, did you use the pseudo transaction to Transfer Shares between Accounts that generates Remove and Add Transactions or did you use the newer investment Move action?

This discussion has been closed.