Unable to check for updates. File server failed to load (2016)

Options
DLDrilling
DLDrilling Member
I've been using Quicken 2016 for years without any issues. However today out of the blue when I tried to open Quicken 2016 I received error "Unable to check for updates. File server failed to load". I get this error and Quicken will not load. This is happening with Quicken on my desktop and also on my laptop - so I'm not able to open Quicken. I searched a couple other posts, but haven't found a working solution. Not sure if doing a reinstall of the software will resolve this or not so thought I would post for some suggestions. Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• DLDrilling
    DLDrilling Member
    Options
    Update: I was finally able to open Quicken 2016 on my Windows 11 laptop. I didn't do anything - it just opened this time rather than throwing the error. However, my Windows 10 desktop is still not working, but I'm not getting the error anymore. Now when I try to open Quicken 2016 it just flashes the Quicken logo and then goes back to the desktop. So no error - but just won't open. I suspect maybe there's something going on with the Quicken site as I've not done anything to try to resolve yet, but the laptop is working and now getting different "error" on my desktop?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What release level of Q 2016 do you have installed?
    You need to be on R 19.5 for all the business with the conversion from the old Intuit ID to the Quicken ID to work properly. If you're not on R 19.5 please download and install a file named Release 19.5 Mondo from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2016-patches.html
  • DLDrilling
    DLDrilling Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I did chat with support a bit ago, but they can't really help as support for 2016 was apparently discontinued in 2019. So I tried just reinstalling the program from CD. For the time-being, that has corrected my problem - I'm now able to open Quicken 2016 again. I checked the version now that I can get in - my version is Release R1 (R25.1.1.8).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I did chat with support a bit ago, but they can't really help as support for 2016 was apparently discontinued in 2019. So I tried just reinstalling the program from CD. For the time-being, that has corrected my problem - I'm now able to open Quicken 2016 again. I checked the version now that I can get in - my version is Release R1 (R25.1.1.8).
    Now install the R 19.5 Mondo patch file on top of that to get out of the Intuit ID vs. Quicken ID quandary.

This discussion has been closed.