Cannot Add RBC (Royal Bank) to Quicken

tgarnett123
tgarnett123 Member ✭✭
I have been trying to add RBC to Quicken (I already have TD Canada Trust accounts for some time, with no issues) and I keep getting error message "Quicken can't add this account because RBC website is unavailable, try again later". I have tried several times and over a few days. On the RBC side it shows that there weres unsuccessful attempt to gain access, which I had to confirm was me. Is there an issue with Quicken getting access to RBC accounts?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I have been trying to add RBC to Quicken (I already have TD Canada Trust accounts for some time, with no issues) and I keep getting error message "Quicken can't add this account because RBC website is unavailable, try again later". I have tried several times and over a few days. On the RBC side it shows that there weres unsuccessful attempt to gain access, which I had to confirm was me. Is there an issue with Quicken getting access to RBC accounts?
    Hello @tgarnett123

I am sorry to hear about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you noticing any error codes alongside this message? if you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your RBC-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tgarnett123
    tgarnett123 Member ✭✭
    I went through all of that with an agent online and the same error message occurred. I was told to call back next week as there may be a higher tech agent who may be able to help me.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    In June of this year, RBC Royal Bank (Canada) implemented a requirement for multi-factor authentication. Exactly how the MFA functions for you depends on configuration, including whether you use the RBC Mobile App on a "Trusted Device". The implementation of MFA (2FA) is causing issues with accessing RBC Royal Bank using Express Web Connect, e.g. I wake up every morning to a notice on my mobile device that alerts me to the fact that the Intuit aggregation server attempted to login into my RBC accounts during the night, but was unsuccessful at doing so because I didn't click Allow in the pop up notice in the RBC mobile App. And, for the record, clicking "Allow" in the App still doesn't let the Intuit Aggregation server connect without clicking "sign in" on the "timed out" notice in the RBC Mobile App (and, in my case, using FaceID).

Quite frankly, this is one big mess. Downloading transactions from RBC Royal Bank with Express Web Connect will not work properly until Quicken, Intuit, and RBC Royal Bank work together to overcome this multi-factor authentication issue.

I have reported this issue to Quicken Support and reported it with Report a Problem expecting it would be added to the Known Online Banking Issues here in the Community, but those efforts seem to have been in vain.

At this time, workarounds include trying to convince an RBC digital enablement advisor to remove the multi-factor enforcement from your account OR doing the semi-manual authorization that I have been doing (major PITA).

A "higher tech agent" isn't going to be able to resolve this.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    > @Arctic Hare said:
    > In June of this year, RBC Royal Bank (Canada) implemented a requirement for multi-factor authentication. Exactly how the MFA functions for you depends on configuration, including whether you use the RBC Mobile App on a "Trusted Device". The implementation of MFA (2FA) is causing issues with accessing RBC Royal Bank using Express Web Connect, e.g. I wake up every morning to a notice on my mobile device that alerts me to the fact that the Intuit aggregation server attempted to login into my RBC accounts during the night, but was unsuccessful at doing so because I didn't click Allow in the pop up notice in the RBC mobile App. And, for the record, clicking "Allow" in the App still doesn't let the Intuit Aggregation server connect without clicking "sign in" on the "timed out" notice in the RBC Mobile App (and, in my case, using FaceID).
    >
    > Quite frankly, this is one big mess. Downloading transactions from RBC Royal Bank with Express Web Connect will not work properly until Quicken, Intuit, and RBC Royal Bank work together to overcome this multi-factor authentication issue.
    >
    > I have reported this issue to Quicken Support and reported it with Report a Problem expecting it would be added to the Known Online Banking Issues here in the Community, but those efforts seem to have been in vain.
    >
    > At this time, workarounds include trying to convince an RBC digital enablement advisor to remove the multi-factor enforcement from your account OR doing the semi-manual authorization that I have been doing (major PITA).
    >
    l
    > A "higher tech agent" isn't going to be able to resolve this.

I just purchased Quicken today. It’s incompatible with RBC. I login in Quicken desktop with my Quicken user and pass, then try to link to rbc using rbc username and password. With my phone unlocked and me ready to push accept as soon as the push comes through, I wait, but nothing happens initially (all other rbc push for 2fa are within 10secs). While I wait for a push on my phone from rbc for what seems like 60 seconds… Quicken desktop is “thinking”,l. When I finally get the push on my phone…, Quicken desktop goes to a new page asking me for the answer to one of my rbc security questions. When I push accept on the rbc push it says something like “too late” even though i literally pushed accept the millisecond it finally arrived. So then I go back to the quicken software which is now asking one of my 3 rbc security questions… answer it correctly, perfectly and then quicken goes all the way back to start for me to enter rbc creds. I can do it about 3 times and the exact same thing happens then the 4th time or so it gives a code in the 900s that i found out means RBC won’t let Quicken try to login to same account until an hour passes. I tried again an hour later, rinse, repeat.
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Ever since Quicken adopted the direct connect feature which allows Quicken to login into your bank account on your behalf by entering your credentials, I have stayed with the old "Web Connect" method. I have bank accounts with RBC, TD and Scotiabank, all of which work without issue.

It simply requires that you first login to your bank account on the bank website yourself and then instruct the bank website to download transactions into Quicken.

The introduction of 2FA added another level of complexity that can still cause issues.
    I would recommend changing to the "Web Connect" method until Quick sorts this out.

Here is the support page that explains the different types of connection methods.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Here are the instructions for changing connections methods -
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-change-bank-connection-method
  • Arctic Hare
    @JosepfW Quicken offers two methods for downloading transactions from Canadian financial institutions for its Windows product: (i) Web Connect; and (ii) Express Web Connect. The "Direct Connect" method is only available for the US version for US financial institutions. The links you have provided are, unfortunately, geared to the US version of Quicken and are not entirely applicable to the Canadian version and Canadian financial institutions. Quicken typically forgets about its Canadian customers in its help documentation and its communications (e.g. Quicken Update Emails are always US centric and the content never aligns with the Canadian, product, experience or features).

Express Web Connect does work most of the time for the major Canadian institutions. I've been using Quicken for decades and I download transactions from RBC Royal Bank and BMO Bank of Montreal on a daily basis using Express Web Connect (for both of those financial institutions); Web Connect also works and is more secure, but most users will find it less convenient. I click one button and get transactions from a dozen accounts across four different banking card #'s and two financial institutions - Web Connect would take at least 10 times as long every day.

N.B. I have determined that one can switch the 2FA off for RBC by logging into online banking and turning off the switch for "Trusted Device" in the security settings. If you turn that switch off, it won't try to use the "Allow" login 2FA feature on the RBC Mobile App. While I would prefer to have 2FA enabled and have it compatible with Quicken, that is not presently the case. There is, however, the option to disable 2FA - for the time being - as indicated. With "Trusted Device" switched off, I have no issues with downloading transactions from RBC with Express Web Connect.
  • Arctic Hare
    @Quicken_Jarad - it would be appreciated if this RBC 2FA issue would be included on the Known Issues list for Online Banking. It is a known issue that has not been resolved other than forcing RBC clients to opt our out of using the more secure 2FA.
This discussion has been closed.