Quicken for Mac 6.9 doesn't recognize my .quicken file

Options
jd1254
jd1254 Member
I am running MAC OS 12.6 and Quicken 6.9. My last session with Quicken was 9-10-22. Today I attempted to open my file, and after I input my password I get a screen asking if I want to start from scratch or import from a variety of old quicken file versions. I attempted to restore my 9-10-22 automatic backup, yet quicken still brings up a screen as if I want to create a whole new file. Why won't Quicken 6.9 recognize my current ".quicken" file?
Tagged:

Comments

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jd1254 said:
    I am running MAC OS 12.6 and Quicken 6.9. My last session with Quicken was 9-10-22. Today I attempted to open my file, and after I input my password I get a screen asking if I want to start from scratch or import from a variety of old quicken file versions. I attempted to restore my 9-10-22 automatic backup, yet quicken still brings up a screen as if I want to create a whole new file. Why won't Quicken 6.9 recognize my current ".quicken" file?
    Hello @jd1254

    I do apologize about this problem with opening your older QDF file. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

    What steps, precisely, are you taking when you try to open your older data file? Are you opening the program and navigating to File > Open Recent... in the upper menu at the top of the screen when the program is open? Also, do you know where your data files and backups are located, and have you tried opening the program then navigating to File > Show "(Data File is listed here)" in Finder to uncover where your active data file might be stored?

    I am eager to hear your answers. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • jd1254
    jd1254 Member
    Options
    When Quicken is working for me, I simply click on the Quicken icon in my Dock and the password window comes up as I have a password associated with my data file. Once I enter the password and click on "continue", my file comes up. So Quicken just automatically is opening my data file. What started happening yesterday is that the password window opens, I press "continue", and then the "Let's Get Started Menu" comes up. I did try the "File>Open Recent..." method and the same result occurred. My quicken data file is located in the "Username/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents" folder. I think this is the default location that Quicken uses. I tried the restore function and the same result occurred. Backup was stored in"Username/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups" folder. Do you think I should try and trash the program and re-install Quicken from the Quicken website?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jd1254 said:
    When Quicken is working for me, I simply click on the Quicken icon in my Dock and the password window comes up as I have a password associated with my data file. Once I enter the password and click on "continue", my file comes up. So Quicken just automatically is opening my data file. What started happening yesterday is that the password window opens, I press "continue", and then the "Let's Get Started Menu" comes up. I did try the "File>Open Recent..." method and the same result occurred. My quicken data file is located in the "Username/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents" folder. I think this is the default location that Quicken uses. I tried the restore function and the same result occurred. Backup was stored in"Username/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups" folder. Do you think I should try and trash the program and re-install Quicken from the Quicken website?
    Hello @jd1254

    Thanks so much for following up with me, and for answering my earlier questions. I am sorry that this issue has been recurring for this long.

    Try restarting the computer when this happens to make sure that the issue is note resolved. At this stage, if the problem continues after this, I do recommend uninstalling the program using the steps listed in the Support Article linked here. You may then try reinstalling it with these steps.

    Let us know how this works, if you can.

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • jd1254
    jd1254 Member
    Options
    So I uninstalled my Mac Quicken and downloaded a new version. This did NOT fix the problem. What is odd is that when I select the file open recent command, I can see my file and I select it. The password window appears so I know the program is reading enough of the file to know there is a password required. Once I enter the password, it then ceased opening my file and instead established a new file with no transactions in it under a new name. My regular file is 70.9 megabytes big so I know my transactions are there. The Quicken 6.9 version just will not open my file. My MAC OS is 12.6 (Monterey). Is it possible to provide me with a the version of Quicken that existed on 9-10-22? That's the last date where everything worked. I am beginning to get worried I am going to lose all of those transactions and have to start from zero.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jd1254 said:
    So I uninstalled my Mac Quicken and downloaded a new version. This did NOT fix the problem. What is odd is that when I select the file open recent command, I can see my file and I select it. The password window appears so I know the program is reading enough of the file to know there is a password required. Once I enter the password, it then ceased opening my file and instead established a new file with no transactions in it under a new name. My regular file is 70.9 megabytes big so I know my transactions are there. The Quicken 6.9 version just will not open my file. My MAC OS is 12.6 (Monterey). Is it possible to provide me with a the version of Quicken that existed on 9-10-22? That's the last date where everything worked. I am beginning to get worried I am going to lose all of those transactions and have to start from zero.
    Hello @jd1254


    I do apologize about this problem remaining even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and thank you for continuing to bring me updates about what is happening.

    These symptoms are unusual. Given the difficulties restoring from a backup mentioned earlier, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support about this using the information in this link. They will be able to assist you with further diagnosis and troubleshooting, given the unique tools and resources they retain. 

    I wish I could provide a resolution via the Community, but this is the path forward. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 


  • jd1254
    jd1254 Member
    Options
    By the way, I also tried to restore a backup from an even earlier file (9-3-22) just to make sure it wasn't a weird problem with that one file. Quicken would still not open it, so it just seems to me there's an issue with the current version of Quicken and my computer that is causing a problem.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jd1254 - just to clarify ..
     is the prompt for the “data file password” ? 
    Also, did you create this password, and have always been promoted when opening ? 
    Reason - there was a bug where files were getting randomly modified with a bogus password. 

  • jd1254
    jd1254 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say "data file password". Quicken opens with a small window. In the window there is a Quicken logo followed in bold by the words: "Enter Quicken File Password for" . The next line in regular text is the file name. Below is dialogue box to enter the password. Below the dialogue box are the three choices, left to right: Cancel, Forgot Password, and then Continue. I have had this file password protected for at least 5 years now, and likely longer. Maybe I should choose "Forgot Password" and see what it does?
This discussion has been closed.