Can Quicken print checks on completely blank check paper.. - like VersaCheck can ??

Options
Andrew Angell
Andrew Angell Member ✭✭✭
I have been using VersaCheck for many years to print my checks.  This is because it allows me to use blank check paper, and then I enter my bank routing/account number, etc.

The check paper I use is completely blank like this:  https://www.amazon.com/VersaCheck-Security-Business-Check-Refills/dp/B009ZOXPK4/

When I print a check it prints everything, so I can change details on each individual check as opposed to ordering a bunch of pre-print checks that already have my logo, address, name, account/routing number, etc.

Is there a way to use blank checks like this and print within Quicken?  It seems it only supports pre-printed checks with that info on it, where Quicken would only print the name of the receiver and the amount.  I have hundreds of these blank checks left, though, and I'd rather not waste them.  (My old version of VersaCheck is not compatible with Windows 11, and I'd rather not buy a new license for it since I'm already paying for Quicken.)

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    No way. Quicken requires preprinted checks from Intuit or identical clones.

https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/?track=55380

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't / didn't Versacheck at some time offer a printer driver which can be used to "print" checks from Quicken to the Versacheck virtual printer driver? Once properly configured, the necessary formatting is done in the printer driver and you can use your blank check stock to print your checks directly from Quicken.
    I don't know if this printer driver still is available.
    If all else fails see if you can use Versacheck to preprint an image of Quicken-compatible Standard checks on your blank paper, with your name, bank address, check number, MICR code line except amount, etc. Once you have a supply of preprinted checks, use them to print the actual check information directly from Quicken.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Andrew Angell
    Andrew Angell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @UKR

The goal would be to stop using VersaCheck altogether.  If I had to use it to print checks to then use in Quicken, I could just print the check out of VC and be done with it.

My issue is that I rarely use checks in general, but there are occassions I need them from a variety of bank accounts.  Personal accounts as well as multiple business accounts.  So I have 6 or 7 accounts that I need to print just 2 or 3 checks out of each year, and it's nice to have sheets of blank checks I can use to print from any account I need at any time.

To buy a full set of pre-printed checks for each of the accounts just to have them sit in the drawer unused for years isn't an ideal option.

My copy of VC simply doesn't run on Win11 anymore, which is why this is coming up.  I could install a VM of Win10 and use that for awhile if I really need to, but I was just hoping Quicken would provide a similar functionality either now or at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couldn't you just use VC to print up a few sheets of checks now for the different accounts without the amount etc. to have on hand to use in Quicken?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    … I was just hoping Quicken would provide a similar functionality either now or at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
    For probably multiple reasons, Quicken has not chosen to offer that capability in the past. The discussion has appeared before. 
    Looking forward, with the direction check writing is going, I can’t imagine them adding it in now. You are admitting to writing very few checks. I write very few checks. Your Versacheck is not updating. I don’t see the incentive for Quicken at any point. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @UKR
    My copy of VC simply doesn't run on Win11 anymore, which is why this is coming up.
    Not even with Compatibility mode set to Win 8 or 10?
  • Andrew Angell
    Andrew Angell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    … I was just hoping Quicken would provide a similar functionality either now or at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.
    For probably multiple reasons, Quicken has not chosen to offer that capability in the past. The discussion has appeared before. 
    Looking forward, with the direction check writing is going, I can’t imagine them adding it in now. You are admitting to writing very few checks. I write very few checks. Your Versacheck is not updating. I don’t see the incentive for Quicken at any point. 

Yeah, good point.
  • Andrew Angell
    Andrew Angell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    @UKR
    My copy of VC simply doesn't run on Win11 anymore, which is why this is coming up.
    Not even with Compatibility mode set to Win 8 or 10?

It was fine in Win11 before the most recent update they had.  Now VC stopped loading entirely.  I couldn't get it open in Compat Mode, and the Install/Uninstaller won't even work on it to try and remove and reinstall.
  • Andrew Angell
    Andrew Angell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    volvogirl said:
    Couldn't you just use VC to print up a few sheets of checks now for the different accounts without the amount etc. to have on hand to use in Quicken?

If VC was loading I could, yes.  :)

But yeah, wish I would have done that before so I'd have them now.  Just didn't think it would stop loading on me.  I'll load it in a VM and do that most likely.  
This discussion has been closed.